Accessible GEC Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How many here have actually had to repair a GEC connection in any enclosure and what were the symptoms that caused the need for the repair?

Personally I can't say I have ever had a service call solely for the purpose of repairing a GEC connection.

As already mentioned, the other connections that we make in a meter can are far more likely to need some attention down the road than the GEC connection would be.

Roger

I agree 100% and , in fact, have never even seen a loose EGC on the rods. I rarely have to deal with them but when I have they have been tight.

electricmanscott

How many here have actually had to repair a GEC connection in any enclosure and what were the symptoms that caused the need for the repair?

Personally I can't say I have ever had a service call solely for the purpose of repairing a GEC connection.

As already mentioned, the other connections that we make in a meter can are far more likely to need some attention down the road than the GEC connection would be.

Roger

Exactly. This entire thing is ridiculous. Probably one guy, one day said it was a bad idea and this misguided bonehead had enough power to make it happen.

FWIW, around here I land the GEC in the meter socket all the time and I have never met a tag (seal) that I wouldn't cut.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Out here I have never seen a meter socket with a lug that would accept the GEC and neutral. Our AHJS don't allow it.

The meter is the utilites cash register, we install it per there requirements.

And perhaps we need to examine why the GEC connection needs to be accessible. I have heard it has something to do with cold climates and water pipes? Anyone?

hurk27

Out here I have never seen a meter socket with a lug that would accept the GEC and neutral. Our AHJS don't allow it.

The meter is the utilites cash register, we install it per there requirements.

And perhaps we need to examine why the GEC connection needs to be accessible. I have heard it has something to do with cold climates and water pipes? Anyone?

Here the meter sockets we use has an extra lug for the GEC, and even a KO for the conduit for it, also a 1/4" KO when we can run a solid conductor out of it.
Here we are allowed to enter the meter after we notify the POCO, and the reason we are in there, we have meter seals to lock it back, and as long as we document what we done, were ok. but that is here not there.

We have had a very good relation with our POCO's around here, and we save them many call outs when we can fix a problem in the meter, but that is not to say there hasn't been problems, as they will install a fort knox lock when they suspect power theft, but for the most part, even when we do service up grades they will allow us to tap the drop for temp power as long as we tell them, and never had a problem.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Here we are allowed to enter the meter after we notify the POCO, and the reason we are in there, we have meter seals to lock it back, and as long as we document what we done, were ok. but that is here not there.

We have had a very good relation with our POCO's around here, and we save them many call outs when we can fix a problem in the meter, but that is not to say there hasn't been problems, as they will install a fort knox lock when they suspect power theft, but for the most part, even when we do service up grades they will allow us to tap the drop for temp power as long as we tell them, and never had a problem.

Wow....Must be nice. Back in the 90's when I lived in AZ, on a service change, we would drop the overhead SEC's, do the change out, temporarily reconnect the drop and the POCO, (APS) would get out to do the permanent reconnection in a day or so. My present POCO, (Xcel Energy) rules with an iron fist and wants to be involved every step of the way.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Back to my question:
(I am pretty sure I know the answer but not 100%)

hurk27

Back to my question:

I have never heard of why they need to be accessible, but yet you can bury the connection to a ground rod, or a concrete encased GEC connection, I know water pipes will expand and can break when they freeze, so this could loosen up a clamp, but why other types of GEC connections need to be accessible like building steel?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Back to my question:

IMHO, requiring the GEC connection to be accessible invites tampering by unauthorized people. As far as cold climates and water pipes, I don't have a clue. If installed properly, water pipes don't freeze.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
IMHO, requiring the GEC connection to be accessible invites tampering by unauthorized people. As far as cold climates and water pipes, I don't have a clue. If installed properly, water pipes don't freeze.

What I read a long time ago is for electric pipe thawing the GEC has to be disconnected to prevent fires.

hurk27

What I read a long time ago is for electric pipe thawing the GEC has to be disconnected to prevent fires.

Wasn't too long ago around here, I can remember back in 1967 my uncle hooking up a diesel generator welder he had on a trailer, one electrode cable to the house pipe and one to the underground water meter, after a few minutes we had water. I have heard that there are a few plumbers who still use this method but with a power unit that produces 1 volt but up to 2k amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.