Accessible to Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatapeach

Need help understanding code section 314.29 2017 NEC. It is my understanding from this section you can not have a 4" x4" box in an
unaccessible ceiling? I have been on many commercial projects where the group toilet room had a gypsum ceiling with no access provided however I know there were some 4" x 4" boxes located above. Is this in violation of this section?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Need help understanding code section 314.29 2017 NEC. It is my understanding from this section you can not have a 4" x4" box in an
unaccessible ceiling? I have been on many commercial projects where the group toilet room had a gypsum ceiling with no access provided however I know there were some 4" x 4" boxes located above. Is this in violation of this section?

It's pretty simple to understand and makes sense.

You have to be able to maintain electrical work.

For instance, If you have a splice in a non accessible J-box go bad, or, if in conduit with no splice, and, the wires comes into the J-box then out in a way that you couldn't pull new wire from both ends if needed, you're screwed.

JAP>

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

If the area above the toilet room had no access, but there was access in another area that you could get to the area above the toilets, then it is accessible and not a violation.

jbelectric777

accessible

accessible

read definitions in NEC there is plain old access and other access - readily means you can open power fast with a switch, disconnect or male cord and cap - like a garbage disposal say - then just accessible that's defined as 'without damage to the building' so a junction box above a drop ceiling is accessible - just think of recessed lights. you have access because you can bring the can down and access the wiring, nothing can be buried except the new old work only fittings bt t and b which I don't like at all, ask dennis the moderator what he thinks about the new t and b connectors, guys are using them for things they really are not listed for:cry:

kwired

Electron manager
read definitions in NEC there is plain old access and other access - readily means you can open power fast with a switch, disconnect or male cord and cap - like a garbage disposal say - then just accessible that's defined as 'without damage to the building' so a junction box above a drop ceiling is accessible - just think of recessed lights. you have access because you can bring the can down and access the wiring, nothing can be buried except the new old work only fittings bt t and b which I don't like at all, ask dennis the moderator what he thinks about the new t and b connectors, guys are using them for things they really are not listed for:cry:

Readily accessible means capable of being reached quickly for actions (like operating a switch) without requiring the need to use tools, climb over obstacles, etc. to gain access. It can apply to but is not limited to disconnecting methods.

kwired

Electron manager
If there is crawlspace with access above said room those boxes are still "accessible".

Some instances you could even put in an access cover of some sort if you don't want to expose said boxes, or make them flush with wall/ceiling and put blank covers on them, then they are accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.