Accessory shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam6186

Occupation
Electrician
Just wanted to get a little input. Is it permissible to run a multiwire branch circuit to two accessory sheds about 50 ft from each other? Each shed would have a single toggle for a disconnect mounted outside on the shed. Reason for doing it this way is one for voltage drop and two I’m limited to space in the panel. Each shed will have 2 fans for horse stalls. Total load for fans and lights would not be more the 6 amps per shed. As for grounding electrode I believe it’s not necessary because it falls under a single circuit being a multiwire fed from a 2 pole breaker with single hand tie. Any input would be appreciated!

Sam6186

Occupation
Electrician
About 50ft from each accessory barn inside the man barn in 6x6x4 pvc box. Everything would be field marked and grouped indicating a mwbc

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds perfectly compliant except that I am not sure about the switch. If both circuits enter the first barn then you will need a dp switch and then splice and go to the second barn

Sam6186

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds perfectly compliant except that I am not sure about the switch. If both circuits enter the first barn then you will need a dp switch and then splice and go to the second barn
They’re not goin to enter the first barn. Going to be split in the main barn close to accessory buildings.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They’re not goin to enter the first barn. Going to be split in the main barn close to accessory buildings.
So, if I'm correct, you want to run a 3-wire circuit from the panel to the end of the same building, then split it into two 2-wire circuits to two different buildings, rather than run two separate 2-wire circuits all the way from the panel to the two different buildings.

Perfectly compliant with a 2p breaker or two 1p breakers with a handle tie. Each building's disconnect may be inside if you prefer, nearest point of entrance, and no electrodes are required.

As a side note, you could run a larger feeder to the other end of the barn, and place a sub-panel instead of the J-box, to allow for future additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.