According to NEC is a deep-fat fryer a continuous load?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the fryer has a nameplate rating of 20 A, what would be the maximum allowable standard rating of the fuse protecting the branch-circuit, 20 or 25 A? Any code references would be greatly appreciated!
Article 422 states 125% of the "continuous" load, and while the installation does not state this is a continuous load, my gut feel is that OCP should not be loaded to exceed 80 percent, so 20 x 1.25 = 25 A seems like the correct breaker size.
Please advise.
Julian

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If the fryer has a nameplate rating of 20 A, what would be the maximum allowable standard rating of the fuse protecting the branch-circuit, 20 or 25 A? Any code references would be greatly appreciated!
Article 422 states 125% of the "continuous" load, and while the installation does not state this is a continuous load, my gut feel is that OCP should not be loaded to exceed 80 percent, so 20 x 1.25 = 25 A seems like the correct breaker size.
Please advise.
Julian

[from article 100] Continuous Load. A load where the maximum current is
expected to continue for 3 hours or more.

Being as a fryer is thermostatically controlled it is highly unlikely that the maximum current would be seen for 3 hours continuously.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the fryer has a nameplate rating of 20 A, what would be the maximum allowable standard rating of the fuse protecting the branch-circuit, 20 or 25 A?

Please advise.
Wouldn't 25a be the minimum OCP? If plugged in, I could even see a 30a breaker and #10 wire.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
422.11(D), IMO.
30 amp max. I would not think it would operate at full current for 3 hours or more.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
augie47, why do you suggest 30 A max, as 20 A x 1.25 = 25 amperes would appear to be the correct size OCP?
Julian

The NEC is concerned with protecting the wiring, not necessarily the loads.

As long as the wire is large enough to be properly protected by the OCPD, and as long as receptacle outlets are not involved, there is no upper limit on the OCPD size.
However the equipment itself may list, in addition to Minimum Circuit Ampacity (MCA), a value for the largest OCP allowed to protect the equipment itself (specified by NEC for the special case of straight motor loads). If the equipment states an MOCP value you need to adhere to that.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
422.11(D), IMO. 30 amp max. I would not think it would operate at full current for 3 hours or more.
I think it is 422.11(E)(3) that comes into play here. But then, I don't know what types of equipment fall into 422.11(D). I see this as an item that is not a motor, that is not marked with an OCPD requirement, and that has a current rating higher than 13.3 amps. That sets a 150% upper limit on the OCPD, and that gives you 30 amps as the max.
A 20 amp circuit is all that you need.
I see nothing that contradicts this (i.e., that sets a minimum of 125% for example). It is not a continuous load.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Please advise.
Julian

while there are ample posts reflecting compliant code installation,
put it on a 25 amp breaker.

if the nameplate is 20 amp, and it's a resistive load, if you have
over the nameplate voltage, you will have over the nameplate current.

and breakers have manufacturing tolerances. there may be a problem with that.

as a general rule of thumb, i don't exceed 80% of a circuits capacity.
the last thing i want is a nuisance call on a fryer that keeps shutting off on
a saturday night, with a full restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.