Accordion Folding Fire Door (Won Door) In Hospital Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have an existing hospital renovation project where the architect is specifying to add a Accordion Folding Fire Door (Won Door) in a egress corridor. Per my understanding of NFPA 101 19.2.2.2.7 & 7.2.1.8.2 it seems like this Won Door would need to close upon the initiation of any of the following...the general fire alarm system or the fire sprinkler system or a local smoke detector dedicated for the Won Door to release. Am I correct with my understanding or is there another code I should be looking at for additional requirements?

If I am correct how would this be wired, via a FA control module and relay? Would the local smoke detector have to be connected back to the fire alarm control panel or would it's only use be local...so in the case of detecting smoke the door would release?

Anyone have a wiring diagram they can point me to for this type of application?

ryant35

I have an existing hospital renovation project where the architect is specifying to add a Accordion Folding Fire Door (Won Door) in a egress corridor. Per my understanding of NFPA 101 19.2.2.2.7 & 7.2.1.8.2 it seems like this Won Door would need to close upon the initiation of any of the following...the general fire alarm system or the fire sprinkler system or a local smoke detector dedicated for the Won Door to release. Am I correct with my understanding or is there another code I should be looking at for additional requirements?

If I am correct how would this be wired, via a FA control module and relay? Would the local smoke detector have to be connected back to the fire alarm control panel or would it's only use be local...so in the case of detecting smoke the door would release?

Anyone have a wiring diagram they can point me to for this type of application?

Typically I do not like to close won or roll down doors on general alarm for safety issues. Your AHJ might have other ideas though.

As for a local smoke detector, I wouldn't imagine you would be allowed to install a local detector in a hospital. Here is CA I don't think OSHPD would allow that.

Depending on the control voltage of the won door you could just provide a single normally closed relay contact in a smoke detector base or an addressable relay. I attached a detail for simple control circuit using an addressable relay and an MR-101 relay to isolate the high voltage.

Attachments

• Typical Relay Module Detail.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 5

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To my naive view, the idea of automatically closing a door that cannot be easily manually opened in an egress corridor sounds like a very bad thing. Unless maybe the purpose is to prevent people from trying to get out by going in the direction of the fire.
How easy is it to manually open a Won Dor? I know that roll up doors can be a real problem.

ryant35

To my naive view, the idea of automatically closing a door that cannot be easily manually opened in an egress corridor sounds like a very bad thing. Unless maybe the purpose is to prevent people from trying to get out by going in the direction of the fire.
How easy is it to manually open a Won Dor? I know that roll up doors can be a real problem.

My experience they typically have designed the egress path with these doors closed.

mgookin

It may be a horizontal exit which provides a compartment of temporary refuge. It also may have side swinging doors in it.

I agree, off the top, it sounds like more needs to be known. The fire marshal and building official both need to bless it.

Are you doing the EE on the fire alarm, on the building wiring, or both?

Shujinko

If you touch a won door it has a sensor which automatically opens the door a few feet for a few seconds and lets a person through. As far as for the smoke detectors read the NFPA 101 citations in my noted in my original post....these are specifically for a hospital application and it seems clear that you need a smoke detector.

Thanks for the wiring detail it's really helpful:):D:happyyes:

Cincycaddy

If the door is used for egress I would think it can be manually opened if closed in case of power failure. The architect who has the spec for the door should be calling out one that can be opened with x amount of maximum effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.