Accu bid software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transportation Guy

Anyone out there with Accubid estimating software experience? I am looking for the good and the bad. My company uses it but I have always been a unit price/labor unit excell spreadsheet guy. My spreadsheets have won many a job by pennies over the competition. However, I have no choice but to use this software. I know it is a valuable tool, just not sure how long it will take to be comfortable. I will be using my old faithfull as backup.!

Thanks
Pete
Electrical Project Manager
VA Master Electrician
NC QI

cdslotz

I don't know Accubid, but it is similar to Conest which I do know.

Assuming your unit prices are made up of real material costs and labor units applied to assemblies, just start re-building your assemblies in Accubid
and keep them in a section specifically for your custom unit prices.
Then just pull up the assembly type (20A duplex, recessed light fixture, etc), enter quantity, and bingo..plus it will explode those assemblies for a bill of material
and labor hrs for cost monitoring.

We had a huge catalog of unit price assemblies we built for Conest. We used it for quick price small commercial and tenant finish-out projects.

This tool will really make your job easier, once you are comfortable with it, i have been using this tool for about six months, and it had made my job really easier, thus i recommend to learn it, though it will take some time, but it is really worth full.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have used it and three or four other estimating programs. Once dialed in, you unit price Excel spreadsheet can never rival any of these. And for its ability to warn you about missing bid items, update to current prices and create excellent broken out data for job tracking, you will wonder why you ever waited. The biggest tip I can give is, don't be afraid to create your own assemblies and concepts. I sometimes wonder where the programmers came up with certain assemblies in all the programs I have used. I don't use Accubid now, but I will tell you one thing I really miss is the ability to set up a matrix of typical rooms by floor and then only entering the information once in the typical assembly. The program does the math. Not that big a deal until you need to add one receptacle t one room type. All you have to do is change it once and if you have a 50 story building it will change the entire estimate including job tracking floor by floor.

I suggest, for you to get comfortable with it, you take a couple of the assemblies you have what you consider real solid unit prices for in you spreadsheet and then create precise assemblies for in accubid. Then see how close they are.

SamTech

I am using Excel for almost 20 years. I understand your pain. And yes Accubid does have a learning curve. I like Accubid for larger complex jobs with a lot of alternates/breakdowns. It also depends on how often you need to update/change your estimate. Accubid may be tedious for smaller/straight forward jobs. What I have done is, I entered my unit prices in Accubid database as items. So for a quickie, use your unit prices with benefit of Accubid breakdowns. May be later I can explain you how to do it, if interested.

For a newbie, I would recommend using accubid tech support more often, which is free and very good. You call them and leave a message. They will call you back in half an hour or so. This delay is the most annoying part, but they solve almost all possible issues you may have. Accubid does have extensive training, I don't how much your firm would be willing to spend! I would suggest buying 1-to-1 online hours where you can ask the trainer direct question what you need and how to do it.

There is a way in Accubid to get the unit price from the bid you have entered. I would suggest you to enter a dummy job with different items you normally use in unit prices. For example, I entered 100 feet of EMT from different assemblies for EMT and came up with "3/4 inch EMT with Die Cast set screw fittings, threaded rod from steel" comes close to my unit price of 3/4 inch EMT. So I can start using "EMT DC SS T-ROD FROM STL - THHN" for all my EMT needs. Am I making sense? The ideal situation is to make your own assemblies. Above method is much quicker than making your assemblies, because IMHO the concept of making your own may not happen in near future or may never happen!

Also look for "Database Find ?" in Menu > Edit or use ?Ctrl+D?. The search feature is not versatile like google, but definitely helps finding items quickly.

Transportation Guy

Thanks for all the responses

Thanks for all the responses

I appreciate all the input. I guess the learning curve will be the hardest part. My company has a tremendous amount of predetermined assemblies which none matched up with what I was doing. I just need to do some assemblies and get used to adding/subtracting items to the predetermined assemblies.

I have been a highway electrical contractor for 20+ years and now with a firm that is commercial and industrial so there is a learning curve all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.