Adaptors+cable glands in Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugequark

Hello,
We're looking at a diagram for a job that has an EJB with drilled holes. One entry calls for an exproof elbow and a TMCX fitting with MCHL going out, area is C1D1. I've read 501.10 and don't see if the elbow is permitted, looks like the TMCX fitting should go directly into the entry for an effective seal. Can anyone provide some clarity? The elbow would be C1D1 rated.

Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If I understand you correctly, I believe you're looking in the wrong Section. See the last paragraph of Section 501.15(A)(1).
Conduit seals shall be installed within 450 mm (18 in.)from the enclosure. Only explosionproof unions, couplings, reducers, elbows, capped elbows, and conduit bodies similar to L, T, and Cross types that are not larger than the trade size of the conduit shall be permitted between the sealing fitting and the explosionproof enclosure.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
That is an excellent question. Basically, a standard RMC/IMC (factory) elbow is acceptable simply because RMC/IMC is already acceptable. An explosionproof capped elbow has been specifically tested. Technically, RMC/IMC elbows could have been left out of the list, but it does no harm to include them.

Status
Not open for further replies.