Add Loads to Generation Panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeil402

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I just had a 12.24 kW DC Tesla solar system installed with 2 Powerwall 2's. The solar inverter and both Powerwall modules tie into a 'Generation Panel' which is simply a subpanel. The inverter through a 60 A CB and each Powerwall through a 30 A CB. On the outside of the panel there is a sticker that reads "NOTICE, PV System Combiner Panel, Do Not Add Loads To This Panel".

My question is, why can loads not be added to this panel? The conductors and disconnect are sized to handle loads (200 A). I would like to add an EV charger in the garage and wanted to know if I could add a CB for that in this panel without violating any codes. Thanks.

Install Photo

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There's no reason evident in your diagram, but there might be something missing from it. For example if the CTs measuring the house load are not measuring that feeder, then the system will not properly use the batteries to follow the house load as you might expect. Or there might be a load calculation issue on the upstream feeder.

It also could just be something along the lines of installers being told to always put that sticker on generation panels because it is usually the case. Rarely at Tesla does the right hand know what the left hand is doing.

CHeil402

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There's no reason evident in your diagram, but there might be something missing from it. For example if the CTs measuring the house load are not measuring that feeder, then the system will not properly use the batteries to follow the house load as you might expect. Or there might be a load calculation issue on the upstream feeder.

It also could just be something along the lines of installers being told to always put that sticker on generation panels because it is usually the case. Rarely at Tesla does the right hand know what the left hand is doing.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Although I haven't opened the case to verify this, I'm assuming based on the installation manual that the utility is measured by the internal CT and the solar load is measured with a CT in line with the inverter to the 60 A CB. Essentially, I have an installation as noted in Figure 23 on Page 54 of the Gateway manual. Tesla Gateway 2 Manual

I can't see a reason why you can't put loads with the generation panel because even in their own manual in the preceding image (Figure 22 on Page 53) they show landing the inverter and Powerwall directly into the home main panel.

pv_n00b

There's no technical or code reason why you could not do it. But if messing with the system might be grounds for denying a warranty claim that might be a reason not to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.