Adding a 200 amp breaker

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a issue that I'm not quite sure how to handle. Have an existing 200 amp meter and will be added a 200 amp feed-thru panel and a 200 amp transfer switch for future generator. Will be going from meter thru the feed-thru to the ATS and then back to the feed-thru (separate conduit). Was going to reinstall the existing 200 amp panel to the feed-thru lugs. Contractor had run (2) sets of wires to the area where the feed-thru panel will be. One set is #2 direct burial for a single garage with a door opener and 2 lights and the other set is where I'm having a problem. They ran 4/0 direct burial 4 conductor for a dry cow barn with (2) 240 volt 2 hp fans and some led lights. #2 AL would have been an overkill as the barn would not have over 25-30 amps max. I don't have anywhere in the feed-thru panel for the 4/0 wire. Can any tap rules apply or conductor reducing pin or something similar?

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Would this work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240725_110559_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240725_110559_Chrome.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 5

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Why not go from meter to ATS then to panel?

For the feeder, just splice onto smaller wires.

View attachment 2572667 View attachment 2572668
I need to go from the ATS to the feed-thru and have all 3 feeders coming from there so everything would be on the generator. It would be the existing 200 amp feeder to panel, the new 200 amp feeder to the barn and the 100 amp feeder to the garage. A 3 port clear tap could probably be used but the breaker would be a cleaner install. Imo.