Adding additional loads to existing service, commercial, air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

In commercial applications, adding an additional load (installation of A/C), 220.83(B) doesn't apply since it's not a dwelling unit.

I'm guessing I need to do an overall load Calc for the building, and determine if the service size is adequate for the existing loads plus the added load of the A/C?

Depending on the results of that, I'll need to do a load Calc for the feeder to the sub-panel that would theoretically feed this added load to make sure the panel can handle the added load.

Any comments to this thought process is much appreciated!

kwired

Electron manager
In commercial applications, adding an additional load (installation of A/C), 220.83(B) doesn't apply since it's not a dwelling unit.

I'm guessing I need to do an overall load Calc for the building, and determine if the service size is adequate for the existing loads plus the added load of the A/C?

Depending on the results of that, I'll need to do a load Calc for the feeder to the sub-panel that would theoretically feed this added load to make sure the panel can handle the added load.

Any comments to this thought process is much appreciated!
Easiest is to get demand data from POCO if they are able to provide it.

sw_ross

I was wondering about that as well.

I'll attempt to navigate the bureaucracy hell of the POCO phone system. It might turn out to be easier than calculating the load for this cobbled up mess of a structure!:(

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Unless the existing heat is electric, in which case you can see if the A/C load is equal or less.

kwired

Electron manager
I was wondering about that as well.

I'll attempt to navigate the bureaucracy hell of the POCO phone system. It might turn out to be easier than calculating the load for this cobbled up mess of a structure!:(
You need to get direct contact numbers for the operations dept, especially if you do deal with them a lot. A smaller POCO maybe only has one number, but the operations manager still likely has a personal cell number and a personal email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.