Adding FA Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Curious when adding a initiating or notification device to an existing "loop" whats the best way to do it. Disconnect wores at device bring them back to new devices, terminal strip/hi temp connectors(if splices are allowed)? Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Curious when adding a initiating or notification device to an existing "loop" whats the best way to do it. Disconnect wores at device bring them back to new devices, terminal strip/hi temp connectors(if splices are allowed)? Thanks.

If the new device is in a space not too far from an existing device you would run a 4-conductor or 2 one-pair cables to the new location and tie in the new device. At the old device, you lift either pair and wire nut to one pair on the new run. The other pair on the new run gets landed back on the device. Always carefully observing polarity. Now some folks have already started screaming at their monitors that you can't wire nut fire alarm connections, but I'll point out that there is no such restriction in NFPA 70 or 72. Typically, project specifications will require continuous wire runs or that connections be made on a terminal block. I suppose that if wire nuts aren't forbidden you could also do a butt splice, but I have found that it can be hard to wriggle a crimper into the area you're working in; often there isn't enough slack to make the connections outside the box.

If the new device is between the existing devices you may be inclined to think you can simply cut the cable and insert the new device. This rarely works out. More often than not the cable is at a different elevation than the device and there's a 2 - 4 foot drop. There is hardly any slack between most devices. You should plan on cutting the cable a bit past the location of the new device to accommodate the drop and then run new cable to the second preexisting device.

peter d

Now some folks have already started screaming at their monitors that you can't wire nut fire alarm connections, but I'll point out that there is no such restriction in NFPA 70 or 72. Typically, project specifications will require continuous wire runs or that connections be made on a terminal block. I suppose that if wire nuts aren't forbidden you could also do a butt splice, but I have found that it can be hard to wriggle a crimper into the area you're working in; often there isn't enough slack to make the connections outside the box.

My state is one that forbids wire nuts. We also have a requirement that all fire alarm wiring be in metal raceway and/or MC cable. It makes adding or removing a device no small task. Oh, and adding or removing a device also requires a full set of plans and plan review by the fire department and inspection by the fire marshall.

gadfly56

Occupation
My state is one that forbids wire nuts. We also have a requirement that all fire alarm wiring be in metal raceway and/or MC cable. It makes adding or removing a device no small task. Oh, and adding or removing a device also requires a full set of plans and plan review by the fire department and inspection by the fire marshall.

Yes, I should have added that YMMV based on local requirements. FWIW I just don't see the point of MC or metal raceway as a minimum requirement. In most cases it adds cost for no benefit. Selective application based on installation conditions I can understand.

iwire

Staff member
Yes, I should have added that YMMV based on local requirements. FWIW I just don't see the point of MC or metal raceway as a minimum requirement. In most cases it adds cost for no benefit. Selective application based on installation conditions I can understand.

Not just any MC, special Rhode Island approved MC and you need MC with the correct colors in it we can't use an MC with say red and black conductors for a strobe.

(Add) 9.6.9.8

The color code for all newly installed fire alarm system conductors shall be as follows:

(1) INITIATING DEVICE CIRCUIT shall be red and black. Red shall be positive and black shall be negative [IDC/SLC].
(2) NOTIFICATION APPLIANCE CIRCUIT shall be blue and white. Blue shall be positive and white shall be negative. When speakers, bells, chimes or other audible/visual devices are used in lieu of horns, this color code shall be followed [NAC].
(3) STROBE CIRCUIT, if a separate feed is required, shall be blue and white. Blue shall be positive and white shall be negative.
(4) SMOKE DETECTOR CIRCUITS, if a separate power feed is required, shall be brown and violet. Violet shall be positive and brown shall be negative.
(5) “LOCAL” SMOKE DETECTOR CIRCUITS, if an interconnect wire between sounder bases is required, shall be violet.
(6) AUXILIARY REMOTE POWER SUPPLY CIRCUITS shall be brown and violet.
Violet shall be positive and brown shall be negative.
(7) ELECTRO-MAGNETIC DOOR HOLDBACK CIRCUITS shall be gray and gray if powered by 24 vDC or black and white if powered by 120 vAC.
(8) MUNICIPAL MASTER BOX TRIPPING CIRCUITS shall be orange and orange.
Conductors for this circuit shall be installed in a separate raceway. (9) ELEVATOR CAPTURE CIRCUITS shall be brown and yellow.
(10) HVAC SHUTDOWN CIRCUITS and AUDIO/VISUAL SYSTEMS SHUTDOWN CIRCUITS shall be orange and yellow.
(11) REMOTE ANNUNCIATOR CIRCUITS shall be violet and numbered at each end or as required by the control unit manufacturer.
(12) MUNICIPAL FIRE ALARM LOOP from the master box to the municipal loop shall be black and white.

gadfly56

Occupation
Not just any MC, special Rhode Island approved MC and you need MC with the correct colors in it we can't use an MC with say red and black conductors for a strobe.

Did someone in Rhode Island on the state code committee own a cable manufacturing plant???

peter d

I agree, in most situations it's a waste of time and money. Our fire alarm rules go way overboard IMO, not just in the way they are wired but were they are required, how much coverage they have, etc.

Did someone in Rhode Island on the state code committee own a cable manufacturing plant???

RI is a very strong union state, so no doubt there was some influence there, just like Chicago and its EMT code. Of course, I can't prove that to be true but I strongly suspect it to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.