Adding gridtie only Solaredge to Generac generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

They make Load Shedding relays that will open when they detect generator power. Just land your solar like normal and put a relay in-between backfeed breaker and inverter. Inverter will be isolated when generator is running.

Reactions: Zee

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
They make Load Shedding relays that will open when they detect generator power. Just land your solar like normal and put a relay in-between backfeed breaker and inverter. Inverter will be isolated when generator is running.

For net metering you still gotta bring out an inspector who's gonna look in that panel. Not something I would do.

Zee

Jaggedben,
You like the TEK screw attachment of 200A lugs to busbars? :eek::eek::eek:
Or is it the twisting of the busbars you like more? :sick:

Kidding aside, why wouldnt a gen guy connect with a 200A branch circuit feeder breaker plugged onto busbar?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Kidding aside, why wouldnt a gen guy connect with a 200A branch circuit feeder breaker plugged onto busbar?

Well, first of all, no such thing exists for that panel. Sub feed lugs would be a good idea, they'd need a hold down, but then you're still violating code by disassembling the bussing, so you're still not getting this inspected...

Zee

Thanks.
I know 200A plug-on sub feed breakers do exist for 200A panel bussing. Perhaps you are familiar with this specific make and model and know there is none for it.

This will be inspected. It just won't pass. Gen guy will have to remedy. I hope so too, homeowner got a bad situation there.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Zee; If your just in the solar business its good to know a local contractor that can do panel and bus fab work as you can sometimes modify commercial / industrial panels for solar.
I just re-bused one last week for a 150A PV feed in.

While it is an interesting point that one could install a 200A plug-on sub feed lug kit to re-feed the panel,
If you take a look at the wire bending requirements in NEC 312 and UL 67 you could never come off that breaker like that.

Then the main bus may was part of the support for the main breaker, which it no longer has, probably not a big issue unless it has to handle a large amount of fault current.

A 'trailer' panel like that is usually a throw away panel to me, there is few options for those, and many code traps.

Zee

It would be nice to refab buses, but I do all residential work.

I see. This panel is in fact too narrow to bend 200A wire off a breaker or sub feed lug kit. Good point!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It would be nice to refab buses, but I do all residential work.

I see. This panel is in fact too narrow to bend 200A wire off a breaker or sub feed lug kit. Good point!
Would something like this solve the bending problem?
aco-90-350_p.jpg

Last edited:

Zee

It could........... although, lacking insulation, it seems two might touch and short out

Kg808

Unfortunately, I ran into 2 of these exact set ups in the last 6 months. In both cases we had to do a main panel upgrade.. It really is your best option. Its a surface mounted panel and looks like it would be easy to not bring the cost to this poor homeowner up too much(unless they could get the hacks who installed it like this to pay for it.) When tying solar into a generator backup system you're going to have to install a 'critical load panel' and keep the gen feed and solar breaker separated. If putting in a separate load panel is not an option, you could possibly do the relay option, however like someone mentioned earlier, I would not entirely trust a relay to ensure the solar and generator dont operate together.. Hope you get this mess figured out.. 🤙

Status
Not open for further replies.