Adding Ground Bus to 1960s Panel

xguard

I have an office building that was built in the 1960's with a 225 amp GE panel, panel looks to be original. We're adding a subpanel off of an existing 100 amp breaker. I'd like to run a wire type EGC to our subpanel but have nowhere to land it in the upstream 225 amp panel. I'm wondering if there's any consensus (or a standard) on the best way to add a ground bus to a panel that didn't come with one. I've seen people say drill and tap the enclosure or put a bolt through it with a nut on the other side. Any preferences? Thanks

Attachments

• Mike Holt Grounding 2.jpg
    Mike Holt Grounding 2.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 70

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's about it; the enclosure is your EGC.

There's a bare wire up top that needs to land on the can, too.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
When I was sent to do this exact task recently I was supplied with and 8-32 drill tap to mount the ground bar and these 'bonding wedges' to put under the lock-nut of the EMT feed. I am not sure the reasoning but they did not want to rely on the can, it was also an older building. Then I ran a #6 green from the wedge to the ground bar.
1722030249033.png

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Plus the two screws that come with the ground bar.

(Just one example, pick your favorite vendor.)

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd drill and tap as that seems easier than gaining access to the backside of the panel to use nuts. But if the enclosure isn't thick enough that two threads are fully engaged, then you need further bonding of that ground bar. You could run a jumper from the neutral bar to the ground bar (sized per 250.122). You can probably free up one of the larger neutral lugs if you move most of the grounds off to a separate bar and clean things up on that neutral bar.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
You don't need access to the back of the panel to nut and bolt a lug to the panel. You can bolt it to the top bottom or sides even if you have to cut a small opening in the wall. Those old panels are usually pretty thick I would think a tap would be fine. I would use a fine thread 10/32 0r 1/4/28

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The panel looked like it had wood framing all around the sides, so side mount approach didn't seem any easier.

david

When I was sent to do this exact task recently I was supplied with and 8-32 drill tap to mount the ground bar and these 'bonding wedges' to put under the lock-nut of the EMT feed. I am not sure the reasoning but they did not want to rely on the can, it was also an older building. Then I ran a #6 green from the wedge to the ground bar.
I would have never thought of using a wedge in that way. It seems the OP could use a wedge and land his equipment ground on that.
Interesting.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Eaton ones are 10-32, and SquareD ones I've seen are 8-32. I like the #10 ones better since a normal green ground screw for a box is 10-32 threads. This lets you use a ground bar in its place if it also uses 10-32 mounting screws.

kwired

Electron manager
Only if this is the service panel.
Yes, I think some might be confused a little, I think this is the panel the feeder will originate in to the panel the OP wants to run an EGC to. If this is the service panel then he can land his EGC on the neutral bus of the panel in the picture.