Adding ground to 3 phase 3 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circlet

Well grounding is for safety, right? I have a few machines running reliably on 3 phase 3 wire 200V which is what is provided by the power company. Nothing has ever been grounded and electricians here seem to think that is just ok, though I do not agree. However, I got a machine recently that is giving a very light and constant shock if touched. I am guessing there is something slightly out of balance as well I should take the machine apart and see if there is a physical problem. I am assuming adding a ground from the machine frame to the earth will be a good idea anyway. The steel frame of the building is buried in the earth and a number of things running on the seperate single phase service are grounded to the building frame.

What is the best solution for grounding my 3 phase service, building frame or through a dedicated grounding rod in the earth? Why can they not just have more than three wires in the service??

Thank you.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.