Adding more battery to SolarEdge LG CHEM system

Zee

I have an existing customer friend who wants more battery - especially for maximizing self consumption / TOU "selling to utility"(saving on utility bills).

(E) SYSTEM SPECS:
- Inverter: (1) SolarEdge (SE) SE7600H-USS3BBC14 Energy Hub
- 6.12 kW system size
- LG Chem RESU16H Prime, 16 kWh
7 kW rated, 11 kW peak, 400 VDC

Whole house backed up.

I really wanted to use the (E) SE BUI (transfer switch) and the (E) SE INV...but i have had to take down multiple LG CHEM batteries from walls.
Similarly, SE has failed many many times.
I no longer trust LG CHEM or SE.

Additionally the fires with lithium ion batteries worries me.
I prefer LFP chemistry.

What do you recommend?

Oh and Happy Easter!

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
I believe that SolarEdge will no longer be supporting new LG battery installations as of 4/1/24 (tomorrow). I heard this through a distributor and confirmed it with a SolarEdge employee, but I couldn't find that on their website anywhere.

Zee

Well that simplifies things if I stick to adding DC coupled batteries.
Essentially only their own SolarEdge battery is supported?
I know my supplier no longer sells LG batteries.

I am curious if anyone has experience adding AC batteries to a DC coupled solaredge/battery system? I am leaning towards this solution.

Otherwise, I think I can add 1 more 10 kwh solaredge battery tops to the existing SE 7600 INV. And we need more.

BandGap1.1eV

I am curious if anyone has experience adding AC batteries to a DC coupled solaredge/battery system? I am leaning towards this solution.

Adding an AC battery should be very easy. Does the existing SE system provide any backup capabilities? You mentioned you didn't install a BUI.

Zee

There is a BUI.
But that whole battery system is prone to failure. I am replacing the LG CHEM 16 kWh Prime battery now.
I'd rather add something other than Solaredge and LG.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I have an existing customer friend who wants more battery - especially for maximizing self consumption / TOU "selling to utility"(saving on utility bills).

(E) SYSTEM SPECS:
- Inverter: (1) SolarEdge (SE) SE7600H-USS3BBC14 Energy Hub
- 6.12 kW system size
- LG Chem RESU16H Prime, 16 kWh
7 kW rated, 11 kW peak, 400 VDC

Whole house backed up.

I really wanted to use the (E) SE BUI (transfer switch) and the (E) SE INV...but i have had to take down multiple LG CHEM batteries from walls.
Similarly, SE has failed many many times.
I no longer trust LG CHEM or SE.

Additionally the fires with lithium ion batteries worries me.
I prefer LFP chemistry.

What do you recommend?

Oh and Happy Easter!
Replacing the existing 16kqh LG just because they y want expansion does not make a lot of sense to me. Add a second LG 16kwH in parallel and be done with it. No inverter change, no change to interconnection

Reactions: Zee

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Well that simplifies things if I stick to adding DC coupled batteries.
Essentially only their own SolarEdge battery is supported?
I know my supplier no longer sells LG batteries.

Otherwise, I think I can add 1 more 10 kwh solaredge battery tops to the existing SE 7600 INV. And we need more.
you can add ac couped soution like Tesla Powrwall or franklin batteries but you needs back up gateway or similar device depending on what ac coupled soution you choose.

Reactions: Zee

Tom Harp

New User
Occupation
Stationary Engineer
I have the exact system Zee is referring to except I have 8.58K solar system. I would love to purchase the second battery from LG; however, they do not sell it anymore. I reached out to SolarEdge and they were no help. The system is designed for LG batteries only. I am looking for other options without replacing my inverter and existing battery because the battery is only a year old. LG replaced it under warranty. What I would love to do is leave my LG battery in the maximize self-consumption mode and add another system between the main panel and my emergency load panel. This system would be charged with the excess energy from the solar and Solaredge inverter instead of going to PG&E and then use this battery when the existing battery and solar is depleted. Sound simple enough if I have a system I can self-program. Any ideas?

I know charging a battery system with AC is not as efficient; however, sending my excess power to PG&E and have to pay $.28 a KW in taxes to get it back is worse.

The coupled solution mentioned by Designer101 sounds interesting. I will look into Franklin Batteries and see if it will work with a SolarEdge inverter system. I already know Tesla will not sell to me. I am Homeowner builder. I installed my complete system myself in 2018. Complete with LG installer certification.

Zee

You can find LG batteries online on eBay etc.

Dont know if you can have 2 batteries operating in 2 different modes at once. At the least it will probably require a second inverter for teh 2nd battery. Sounds like a call to the SE sales/design team.
Separate inverters could then have separate storage profiles (SE's term for modes like MSC, TOU, backup only etc)

Tom Harp

New User
Occupation
Stationary Engineer
Zee, thanks for getting back to me. I have been researching this for the past few days and found a couple of options and left two messages for SE sales/design team to call me yesterday AM and PM. No return call yet today. Odd no call back because I am looking at spending around $14,000.00 on equipment. I did see some LG Chem batteries on Ebay and I can also get the older SE7600A inverters to pair them. That’s one option but not as much battery storage as I want. I also downloaded a lot of white papers and install instructions from SE and see that I could put the older LG Chem battery on one of their newer inverters SE7600H and get another SE7600H and put two of the 16K LG ESS batteries on the other. Certain models are compatible with the older LG chem batteries. Need to run this by SE if they call me back. I am a little hesitant to do the SE7600H upgrade due to all the costs of the equipment. AS in the HUB and two inverters. Also, I am coming across a lot of negitive toward the newer SE7600H inverters on the internet. Some say 30% failure rate. Today I just started to research the AC coupled solution like from Franklin which sounds like it could work in my system. I just need to see if they have any experience tying this into a SolarEdge System and did it cause any issues. I also need to see if there is a wholesale distributor that i can purchase their equipment from. Like I posted before I know Tesla will not sell to me. I will try to keep the Fourm updated on what i find. Thanks,