Adding Sets

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have to ADD additional (2) sets from this existing breaker. Apparently there is already a set of feeder coming from this breaker.

Have to adjust trip setting to 1200A and do a coordination study

What do you need to be concerned with when adding additional sets to a breaker so that I can terminate my wires? Wires terminate on a bus that the breaker mounts to?

1710875345526.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You need to make sure your new conductors match the existing per 310.10(H)
(might prove interesting depending on the age of the existing conductors)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You need to make sure your new conductors match the existing per 310.10(H)
(might prove interesting depending on the age of the existing conductors)
Really? They need to be same exact size?

How about terminating on breaker. I never exact knew how that is done for large gear and breakers? They temrinate on bus that the breaker is attacxhed to?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Really? They need to be same exact size?

How about terminating on breaker. I never exact knew how that is done for large gear and breakers? They temrinate on bus that the breaker is attacxhed to?
Not only the same size, the same insulation type, the same length, and run in the same type of raceway.

This sounds like switchgear that will have drawout type breakers and the terminations will be to bus on the back side of the gear. You need to know if there is enough space for two more sets of lugs on the bus or if you will need to use some type of stacked lugs to fit the additional conductors in the available space.