Adding Wheels to a Portable Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Would there be anything wrong with adding wheels to a portable generator? I have an older Coleman generator that doesn't have anything but the rail frame and it is very hard to load and move around. I was thinking about just adding two wheels to one end so you could lift up a little and move the genny around easier. There would still be enough of the frame on the ground for it to be considered grounded if that is a concern.
Any comments or better ideas?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Would there be anything wrong with adding wheels to a portable generator? I have an older Coleman generator that doesn't have anything but the rail frame and it is very hard to load and move around. I was thinking about just adding two wheels to one end so you could lift up a little and move the genny around easier. There would still be enough of the frame on the ground for it to be considered grounded if that is a concern.

Sounds like my 5k. I often wondered why generators of that size did not come with wheels, but you will notice that is the standard design for generators of that size.

Having the frame touch the ground isn't an issue. Putting wheels on it won't affect the electrical part at all. It may make it hazardous to transport, though. Like in a truck or on a trailer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Sounds like my 5k. I often wondered why generators of that size did not come with wheels, but you will notice that is the standard design for generators of that size.

Having the frame touch the ground isn't an issue. Putting wheels on it won't affect the electrical part at all. It may make it hazardous to transport, though. Like in a truck or on a trailer.

Yep, it's a 5K. I have a good tie down on my trailer. Now, to figure out how to add wheels.:huh:

growler

The only problem I can see is that it sounds like you intend to add wheels to one end and leave the frame on the ground ( other end ). Make sure that the generator is level when in operation so the engine oils properly.

Many protable generators come with wheels so just look at how they are designed from the factory. Probably get wheels and axle cheap at Northern tools.

Kdog76

I put wheels on mine with no trouble. Drilling thru the frame was not a problem either. I started with a small bit and worked my way up in size to fit the threaded bolt. I locktited the nut and bolt assembly using 3/8"nut and bolt. Used washers on both sides, and worked out great. Yes, when you are running it you will want some blocking underneath the opposite side to keep it level, maybe chock the tires so it doesnt walk away on you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.