Addition Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemsvcs

Basically just putting this out there for some input to see what others think about this:

Got a call from a GC (who I have never worked for before) and he wanted a price to wire a 1200 sq. ft. addition he had already framed out. Went and looked at the job, talked it over as to what the owner was wanting, and worked up a quote.

I quoted him approx. $3,700. In addition to the typical code minimum stuff, the job included setting a 100A subpanel, two bathrooms, one bedroom, four additional phone jacks, and four additional sattelite outlets.

So, the GC tells me i'm too high. I mean I don't think i'm way off the mark for this area (Ohio) as compared to other parts of the country, but I thought I was giving him a good price.

I'm curious as to what others would get in there areas for similar work.

Thanks,
Jemsvcs

[ January 28, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: jemsvcs ]

bphgravity

Re: Addition Pricing

This is what I do. It works for both new construction and large remodel/addition jobs. In Florida, in order to pull a permit for a job, a total cost to build and the sale price must be supplied to the building department. This is generally public information. If you are listed on a subcontractor sheet for that builder, you can receive copies of the permitting information.

I quote a price of between 4% and 7% of the total build cost or new home cost. For example, the typical home in SW Florida goes for around $200,000. I will quote a price generally at 6% of that price. In my opinion if the electrical wiring and equipment installation on your project is not worth 4-7% of the total bill, I don't want the work.

In some areas and some custom work, up to 10% would be considered.

jimwalker

On something you can see before bid ,i would add up the materials with 20% markup.Then take a realistic estimate of how long your men will take and add at least 10% to that.You should know what you need for your men with workers comp and everything else added.Then stick a reasonable amount on for your profit.If that number is close to your bid then dont worry.Many contractors will tell you your high no matter what you bid,it's just there way of making a profit.

jemsvcs

Jim...that is close to what I do now when I bid a job.

Bryan...also agree with your percentage of the whole concept. It always amazes me how little regard alot of GCs and property owners give to a buildings electrical system. I mean if a plumber FUBARs something u end up with a wet basement, but if an electricians does something like that...well, get out the marshmallows boys, we got us a bonfire!

I love the new Nationwide commercial that shows a couple going to Big Orange or Big Blue and getting all of the 'professional' installation advice they can handle...so they decide to hook up a ceiling fan on their own, flip the switch, and vrooom!...flames shoot across the ceiling! Talk about poetic justice.

bradleyelectric

Here near Baltimore they do not give information as to what the GC's bid is. He may be looking for a bid before he pulls the permit also. How did you come up with $3700? I'm at $600 for the sub panel, $125 permit, $15 rec., $25 GFI, $15 S1, $20 S3, $25 smoke, $20 surface light. X 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.