Address Service Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

I just got my mail for the day. In it, I received a notice that the statement I had sent to one of my builders had an old address on it, and I got a card from the USPS with his new address.

I've been doing this for a long time, and it's a great, but little-known, service the Post Office offers: When you mail something out, be sure to put the words "Address Service Requested" on the envelope. If the recipient has recently filled out a change of address form, not only will your mail get through, but you will be notified by the Post Office of the new address.

This is great for keeping up with address changes. There's a small fee you must pay, but it's well worth it! For more information, go to USPS's website.

Nothing is more aggrivating (or expensive!) than sending mail to an old address, and not knowing it.

I just thought I'd pass this along....

Occupation
Inspector
480sparky said:
I just got my mail for the day. In it, I received a notice that the statement I had sent to one of my builders had an old address on it, and I got a card from the USPS with his new address....This is great for keeping up with address changes. There's a small fee you must pay, but it's well worth it! For more information, go to USPS's website.

Nothing is more aggrivating (or expensive!) than sending mail to an old address, and not knowing it.

I just thought I'd pass this along....

I use "Return Service Requested". I get the piece mailed back with the new address and it is FREE. So I readdress and send it out again. I work mostly with post cards so the cost is lower than First Class.

Also, if memory servers me correct, mail is only forwarded for the first six months, so you might get the correction but the mail piece may not have been delivered.

480sparky

1793 said:
I use "Return Service Requested". I get the piece mailed back with the new address and it is FREE. So I readdress and send it out again. I work mostly with post cards so the cost is lower than First Class.

Also, if memory servers me correct, mail is only forwarded for the first six months, so you might get the correction but the mail piece may not have been delivered.

Only problem is, you got the piece back. If that was my example above, I wouldn't get paid in a timely fashion because this builder pays on the 30th.... I won't have time to remail it.

And it's not 'free'.... you still have to mail it again.....:smile:

Postcards really don't lend themselves to invoicing and statements....:cool:

C3PO

Laugh if you want to, but I always wondered what "Address Service Requested" meant when I see it on envelopes. I guess I know now.

Occupation
Inspector
480sparky said:
Only problem is, you got the piece back. If that was my example above, I wouldn't get paid in a timely fashion because this builder pays on the 30th.... I won't have time to remail it.

And it's not 'free'.... you still have to mail it again.....:smile:

Postcards really don't lend themselves to invoicing and statements....:cool:

Point Taken.

True, but you know it will get to the recepiant this time.

Just mentioning options available.

Status
Not open for further replies.