Administrator/Master license

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger

I just passed my Journeyman's test in the State of Washington.It took about two months for me to prepare.I used Mike's exam preparation book for the 99 codebook.I was wondering if it would be worth all the effort that it does take to study for and obtain a Master's license? The economy being what it is,i wouldn't think it would be a bad thing but in our State at least there is only one Administrator per electrical contractor company.I was hoping for a few opinions on this.Ranger

definitive

Re: Administrator/Master license

I got my administrators license when i was still an apprentice in school, because the information was fresh in my head. So I think you should take it now. FYI; There can be more than 1 admin in a company, and typically the owner is one of them.

bphgravity

I think it must be a combination of what you are prepared for and what you furture plans are. You may feel right now that you are best prepared, but with time, experience and more education can prove to be the key to successful results on an exam. On the other hand, if you don't put in the study time and let yourself get rusty, it may take alot more preparation to get back into exam form. I would always give yourself options and provide your own opportunities in case others don't provide them for you. You will know if you are truly ready to go off on your own and start a company or if it is just best to sit back and wait awhile. Good Luck! :p

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by definitive:FYI; There can be more than 1 admin in a company, and typically the owner is one of them.
This is just for the information of the non-WA state forum members: In Washington, an electrical contracting company can have many employees with Administrator Licenses. But one, and only one, can be formally assigned (i.e., through a legally binding and documented action of the owner or board of directors) to the role of that company?s Electrical Administrator. That one person is responsible for assuring that all work done by the company?s employees is compliant with code and is performed in accordance with proper safety procedures.

I have a WA Administrator License, and am the only one in my company with that license. But we?re consulting engineers, so the license has no legal meaning to this company. It does, however, add to the credentials that we can put on our proposals, and demonstrates an understanding of the relationship between design and construction. I would therefore recommend that you take the exam and get the license. It may open doors for you someday, and it will close no doors in the mean time.

Good luck.
Charlie

ranger

Thank you everyone for your input.I did have a question for Charlie though.Say for instance that a company's administrator got sick for awhile or even went on vacation,would it be possible for someone with the same license to cover for him or her until they got back?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Ranger< i would apply and take the adminstrator/master test now while it is fresh in your mind. Once Washington adopts the 2002 NEC end of May. then shortly after they will start testing on the 2002 NEC.
Plus, its maybe a vanity thing, but having a master is more impressive than adminstrator. More people are likely to understand what a master electrican is.
If you will send me a private email with your evening phone number I'll call you and give you some tips on the WA state masters test

Tom
Washington State Master Electrician

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by ranger:Say for instance that a company's administrator got sick for awhile or even went on vacation, would it be possible for someone with the same license to cover for him or her until they got back?
This is not akin to taking over the role of ?Manager-on-Duty? at a department store during another person?s lunch hour. The assignment of Administrator is made by an act of the Board of Directors, and is ?permanent,? meaning that it takes another act of the Board to change the assignment. The Administrator is responsible for compliance with code and with safety rules, until such time as the Board assigns that responsibility to another person. An Administrator remains responsible, even while on vacation. But the Administrator who has done a proper job of establishing standards, of providing training, and of enforcing rules can take time away from the site without running the risk that code and safety will suddenly be disregarded by the employees.

motodiva

TAKE IT NOW! It's really easy right now. In a onth, when they adopt the new code, it will be much harder. I just took it and the only problems I had were with the WAC rules, but I sqeaked by in that section. The code calcs, code, and theory were a breeze. If you're fresh, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

definitive

The one tool I found invaluable in the test was an "Uglies" book.
Ive actually heard that the administrators test is actually a skeleton of its former self, now that they've moved to the computer terminal method of testing.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

In Washington State you can take any copyrighted book into the test with you.
The best book to study for the code portion is Mike Holts Master Electricans Exam Prep. When L&I took over the test question development from Experior, they asked me if I had any test questions to donate, I put them in touch with Mike Holt, he gave them his entire 2400 test questions bank for the 1999 NEC. Not all the questions will be from the Mike Holt material, but some certainly will be.

peter

Mr. Baker,
If those 2400 questions were from Charles Michael Holt's [Sr.] 1999 Electrian's Exam Book, watch out. :roll:

ranger

Yeah i was pretty much "blown away" by the fact that Lasergrade allows one to take in any copyrighted material.I showed the girl who was running the test all my study materials just to be sure that it was ok and that my results would not be disallowed.Still i do not think that one can come unprepared to the test expecting to pass it just because they have the right materials.I can say though that a good percentage of the questions wer'e the ones i studied in Mike's Exam book and at least i was able to confirm that my answer was right.There wer'e at least three that i know i got right and had no chance of getting otherwise because i found them in the book.Is this right or wrong? I have mixed feelings however this is the law now right?I want to thank all you guys for your responses i wanted some opinions and i got some.Time to study for another test!Thanks again Ranger ;)

definitive

The code section of the test is the least of the worries. I found the WAC rules to be the hardest. I really dont like the way that book is layed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.