Advance ballast replacement T12 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpk

I recently replaced two ballasts for 8' T12 Ho fixtures. If the fixture was powered when the bulbs were installed they would not light. If you cycled power to them then they were fine, but they had about a half second delay before the lamps would come on, every time. The ballasts that I replaced were the larger (heavy) magnetic style but the new ones looked almost like an electronic T8 style but were rated for the bulbs. Is this normal, or has anybody else seen this ?

bpk

I just wanted to make sure its normal. My first thoughts were bad tombstone ends or loose connections somewhere. I was unaware that they even made electronic ballasts for T12 bulbs, are they much more energy efficient than the magnetics ?

hurk27

I just wanted to make sure its normal. My first thoughts were bad tombstone ends or loose connections somewhere. I was unaware that they even made electronic ballasts for T12 bulbs, are they much more energy efficient than the magnetics ?

Yep they do now, and its about all we can get around here.

I installed a new hunter fan today and when I flipped the SW on for the light it had that delay (40w incandescent lamps) I thought it have a remote unit in it, but after reading the instructions (imagine that:roll:) written in a box it had that this light kit has an electronic over wattage protection device to keep home owner's from putting in higher rated lamps, go figure:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.