Advantages of Supervisors (Master's) License in Southern Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a larger shop in Southern Oregon and was wondering if I should go for my Supervisor's License. I guess I am not too clear on the advantages and disadvantages of having one. Perhaps it would be more value at a small shop without other holders? I really just want to force myself to learn more, as I find myself settling into routine and getting lazy in learning new stuff. Might as well get a license upgrade out of it, huh? Any advice? Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can't offer much help but some shops will pay more if you get a higher level license. I really don't know but I will advise you to continue learning as much as you can -- it can only help your options at a later date.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Each state/area is different, but I was reading a thread on another forum about something similar.

The guy said he got his masters license and his boss said if he activated his license he would fire him.

Must be a very paranoid person!:(

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What is the disadvantage of having a higher level of education or certification?

GO FOR IT WITH CONFIDENCE AND PASS THE EXAM !!!

Yeah, I guess you have a point. I've heard some shops (like the guy above mentioned) can be weird about it for some reason, but I will just talk to my boss and see where they're at with it. I'll start saving up for some study materials now-they be spendy! Thanks for the responses guys!

ken44

I am a Master and I have had as many as 3 other Masters working for me at times, I currently have 2 with their Masters and a 3rd that I sent to training to take the Masters exam. Education and training are a wonderful thing and I admire that your not willing to sit back and let yourself be dumbed down. Go get that license!

The guy said he got his masters license and his boss said if he activated his license he would fire him.

The boss may have been afraid of him pulling permits for side jobs on the boss's insurance.
Or the boss didn't want the guy to start his own company on the side - some people don't have a problem with taking material from their day job to supply their side job.

Status
Not open for further replies.