Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbe

Well since its been slow except for a few specs houses thinking about putting an ad in the local paper maybe can get some more work. Question is the ad size is about the size of a business card turned horizontal was wondering what all should I put in it to get the most response you think? Not alot will fit so should I just put a few of the services we offer ? Thanks

ultramegabob

I tried running an ad in the local paper once, it only attracted customers that were flakey. If you get some calls from the paper, make sure they are not renters if you like getting paid.

satcom

There is nothing like the Yellow Pages for proven results, for about $500 a month with a small one man shop, the newspaper ad will run more, and usually attracts the dead beats, and free estimate crowd.

emahler

also, bear in mind, many guys are slow...don't expect to place a small ad in the paper and get the phones ringing off the hook immediately...

honestly, you should have began placing the ad over 6 months ago, and it might have started working by now...

Buck Parrish

Well since its been slow except for a few specs houses thinking about putting an ad in the local paper maybe can get some more work. Question is the ad size is about the size of a business card turned horizontal was wondering what all should I put in it to get the most response you think? Not alot will fit so should I just put a few of the services we offer ? Thanks

Make Electrical Contractor as big as possible.
May be also "Remove Christmas lights";)

tonyou812

There is nothing like the Yellow Pages for proven results, for about $500 a month with a small one man shop, the newspaper ad will run more, and usually attracts the dead beats, and free estimate crowd.
Totally agree. I spent a ton on local papers for almost nill results. Lots of chasing your tail and people just shopping around. I took out a small ad in the Phone book and that was a little better. But by far almost 85 percent of my work is word of mouth now. Its amazing what good customer service will do. That and Calandras pastries for jobs over 5 grand.

Brady Electric

Advertising

Never had any luck advertising in the paper years ago.
I advertise in local groups papers if needed. I'm a member of Carolina Real Estate Investors Association and run a bussiness card add in there monthly paper. Joining little groups or just knowing someone in the group really helps.
In our group we have a professional list of trades that people use and make comments on there work. Also we have a yahoo group that we all check and put comments on professional workers that we might need.
I have always had best results by word or mouth.
Good Luck and Semper Fi Buddy

GUNNING

Ive had an ad in the local paper for years. Its in a Service Directory. There are one or two other electricians. You get Realtors and people with a couple of houses calling which can be good repeat service work. That was when there was work. The add gets you name recognition. Just like the yellow pages. Got a run it for a while. Not sure about the column adds. I would think unless your running something special you got a go where the people are looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.