aerial cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

weez185

where do i find specs on installing a 50-pair aerial cable with a messenger, and what types of ends are required

earlydean

Re: aerial cable

You could start from the manufacturer of the cable you intend to purchase. Also, parts suppliers would know of generic supports that would also be approved. Sometimes the manufacturer's website will give you all you need.

Earl

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

You won't find this information in manufacturers literature any more than the manufacturer of type NM will tell you what connectors to use and how to install it. At least in the electrical industry we have the NEC.

Best advice I can give you is to go outside and find a run of messengered aerial cable that has been run by the TELCO, study it and see how its done. I'm not aware of anything other than on the job training that will teach you this.

For each span the messenger is supported (hung) at each end with dead ends. These are universal to any pole line work and come in two styles. With one type (Strandvise) you insert the strand into a hole that will grip it with a one way ratchet action. Once hung you can continue to pull the messenger through to tighten it up to get the proper sag. The other type simply wraps around the strand but is more difficult to reposition. Which one to use is a matter of preference. Both will have a bail to attach the dead end to a hook or eye bolt. You will have to know the diameter of the messenger (manufacturers lit WILL give you this) to select the proper dead end though I believe in this case it is almost certainly .25 inch.

The messenger will have to be separated from the cable by cutting the web for a distance at the attachment points as well as the entire length needed to reach the termination points. There is a tool for this (web slitter) otherwise if you use a knife be VERY careful not to cut into the cable jacket. Even if you tape it up moisture will get sucked in causing the cable to fail.

You cut the messenger with bolt cutters. You will have to skin the jacket off the messenger and if it's covered with an anti-corrosion tar like compound you will have to clean it off with something like benzene or mineral paint thinner and a rag. When it's shiny clean you are ready to insert it into or apply the dead end. If there is residue the dead end won't grip.

There are many choices for attachment hardware. Probably you will use a "J" hook if the material you are hanging the cable on is wood. Anixter is one source for dead ends and pole line hardware.

The cable will have a corrugated shield under the jacket that will have to be bonded to a grounding conductor at each end. Where the grounding conductor is connected at each end depends on how this cable is used. To do this you will need a ground bond connector that slips under the jacket and shield and tightens together with a bolt kind of like the jaws and teeth of an alligator.

There will be two binders of 25pr, white/blue is pairs 1-25 and white orange is pairs 26-50. Again you have many choices in how you can terminate. It mostly depends on where this is going. Don't forget the 50pr protectors at each end if this cable will enter buildings.

Wish I could be more helpful but this is kind of like telling a DIY how to do a service. Only way you are going to find out is by working with someone who knows.

jrdsg

wow, hbiss!

osp [outside plant] telco cable also has to be surge-protected at the building entry point. we use surge technologies stuff [www.mtlsurgetechnologies.com]. keep in mind that osp cable can only be run indoors for a few feet before you have to tie it down and cross over to a riser or plenum-rated cable.

i like the advice to see how someone did it right and do likewise. isn't that how we all learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.