AFCI breakers on a 208 volt system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRMILEY

AFCI 2 pole breakers seem to only work with 180° phases. Has anyone figured out how to get an AFCI breaker on a 120/208 volt Multi Wire Branch Circuit?
My problem is that I have several of units with Home line and several with Murray. GE has application DET-719 using 2 single poles. Rewiring or putting in AFCI receptacles would be a nightmare.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
AFCI 2 pole breakers seem to only work with 180° phases. Has anyone figured out how to get an AFCI breaker on a 120/208 volt Multi Wire Branch Circuit?
My problem is that I have several of units with Home line and several with Murray. GE has application DET-719 using 2 single poles. Rewiring or putting in AFCI receptacles would be a nightmare.

I'd go with the GE. My understanding is that two single pole AFCIs without GFP will not care about the phase shift associated with a 3 phase system or a single phase system derived from a 120/208Y power source.

IRMILEY

I figured as much. That still means changing out 30 load centers because the owner's wanted a few can lights.
I very surprised that only home line breakers points this issue out but only after you get the Breakers.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I figured as much. That still means changing out 30 load centers because the owner's wanted a few can lights.
I very surprised that only home line breakers points this issue out but only after you get the Breakers.

Have you tried AFCI receptacles? If the first device box is close enough to the panel you can do it. The other option is not pulling a permit.;);)

IRMILEY

Nowhere to put them that makes sense. I'm​ being asked to come in after the fact. General contractor started the job and never finished. My other thought is to go look at the load and maybe with luck I can make it with combining the circuits the 1 single pole Circuit. They are just little units.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Nowhere to put them that makes sense. I'm​ being asked to come in after the fact. General contractor started the job and never finished. My other thought is to go look at the load and maybe with luck I can make it with combining the circuits the 1 single pole Circuit. They are just little units.

Can you add a single pole breaker and move your circuit to that? Or is the panel already full?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Calc the circuit, you might be able to combine them. Often in resi mist circuits can indeed be combined as people generally wire above the 3va per foot rule. I feel your pain btw if the helps :)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Do AFCI receptacles incorporate differential current ground fault detection? If so, they'd need to be downstream of the separation of the MWBC into separate 2 wire circuits.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.