AFCI breakers Tennessee

EZRider

Occupation
Retired
Been informed by inspector of violation for no AFCI breaker for Dryer, kitchen stove and Water heater all on dedicated circuits
30A, 40A n 50A water heater.
There’s no breakers for that that I’m aware of. don’t see any info in the code
Any ideas be helpful
Ezrider

EZRider

Occupation
Retired
He failed me on 210.12 2017 nec
I’ve seen nothing in there for those appliances and they don’t even make but 15a and 20a AFCI breakers

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Been informed by inspector of violation for no AFCI breaker for Dryer, kitchen stove and Water heater all on dedicated circuits
30A, 40A n 50A water heater.
There’s no breakers for that that I’m aware of. don’t see any info in the code
Any ideas be helpful
Ezrider
We're still on the 2017.
Correct, no AFCI for those appliances
Also correct, no GFCI for those appliances unless you happen to be in a city that has adopted the 2020 or 2023 code. The State as a whole is still on the 2017, but there are cities that adopt their own cycle.

What area was the permit and inspection done?

EZRider

Occupation
Retired
Was told only bath, fridge and unfinished basement were non AFCI breakers all else
Needed AFCI, whole house is circuit Tamper resistant GFI outlets

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Was told only bath, fridge and unfinished basement were non AFCI breakers all else
Needed AFCI, whole house is circuit Tamper resistant GFI outlets
Laundry, garage, bath, unfinished basement, and outside, are all non AFCI. Nothing that is 2-pole is AFCI. Well, if you decide you wanted a MWBC you could use a 2-pole AFCI. But certainly nothing over 20A is AFCI.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sounds like a misunderstanding.

Here is a link to the present State Electrical Code which be in effect in any area which has not adopted their own Code:

You will find this exception to NEC 210.12

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCIs) shall be optional for bathrooms, laundry areas, garages, unfinished basements, which are portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage, work or similar area, and for branch circuits dedicated to supplying refrigeration equipment.

There in no requirement for 250v AFCI iwhatsoever nor are there any requirements for 250v residential GFCI (other than boat hoists)