AFCI breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have new residential dewelling unit panel install where AFCI branch circuit breakers are 120V 15A or 20A have 2 wires but no third wire for EGC. So no equipment grounding conductor is brought.

I thought the code requires equipment grounding conductor with phase conductor for grounding and bonding purpose.

Is this a code exception or should EGC be brought with phase conductors?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
AFCI (as well as GFCI) breakers require connection of the hot and neutral for the circuit. The EGC lands on the ground bus as usual.

Other than that I don't know what you are asking.

-Hal

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
AFCI (as well as GFCI) breakers require connection of the hot and neutral for the circuit. The EGC lands on the ground bus as usual.

-Hal
The question is for cobination type AFCI only branch circuit breakers 120V single phase, do I need to run 2 wires one hot and one neutral or 3 wires one hot, one neutral, and one equipment grounding conductor based on NEC 2017?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The question is for cobination type AFCI only branch circuit breakers 120V single phase, do I need to run 2 wires one hot and one neutral or 3 wires one hot, one neutral, and one equipment grounding conductor based on NEC 2017?

That was answered in post #2

Roger

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

-Hal

FWIW, agree.

OP, The breaker itself does not require an EG connected to it. An EG is required to be run with the branch circuit conductors, if that is what you are asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.