AFCI ceiling required

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson

In addition to outlet protection, when did the NEC change to requiring bedroom ceiling fixtures to have AFCI protection?

jwelectric

Re: AFCI ceiling required

1999 cycle

210-12. Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection
(b) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter(s). This requirement shall become effective January 1, 2002.
:)

edited to add:

2002 cycle

(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter listed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit.

In '99 it was purposed that the receptacles be protected starting in Jan. 2002 but in the ?02 cycle the decided to make it all outlets

[ September 27, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

In the 2002 NEC, although the receptacle only requirement under the 99 NEC went into effect the same day.

So, on 1-1-02 if you were using the 99 NEC it was receptacle outlets, and if you addpted the 2002 on that date it was all outlets.

Roger

jwelectric

Originally posted by be4jc:
That includes Smoke Detectors also!!!
Yes

Edited to add:

I am sorry Be For JC I mistook !!! to be ???

Some in this forum will tell you that I am blind in one eye and i must can't see out of the other one.

Let me change my answer to yes you are right.

[ September 28, 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

Status
Not open for further replies.