Afci/Gfci Multi-wire circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

linn

When you install a multi-wire circuit,using either AFCI or GFCI receptacles,is it allowed to share the neutral?
I haven't been able to find a code reffering to this type of installation.

bphgravity

Re: Afci/Gfci Multi-wire circuits

I don't beleive there are any afci receptacles on the market yet, but they do exist. GFCI receptacles can be served from a multiwire branch circuit, however, a multiwire branch circuit can't be served from a single-pole gfci or afci circuit breaker.

peter d

If you are stuck in a situation where you need to GFCI or AFCI protect a multiwire circuit, you have the option to use very expensive 2-pole GFCI and AFCI breakers.

aelectricalman

I feel fairly certain that they will never allow AFCI's to become a receptacle in a dwelling unit. The point of the AFCI is to be installed at the origin of the branch circuit or feeder, such as at a panelboard, where it can function to de-energize the entire branch circuit when an unwanted arc is detected. If the AFCI becomes available to use as a plug, then what happens to the feed in coming from the panel to the AFCI receptacle? It is not AFCI protected!

aelectricalman

Im not saying they don't exist or can't be used in certain situations. Im just saying I doubt the NEC would ever allow it in a new dwelling unit as a primary source of AF Protection.

[ January 24, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

charlie

An AFCI will be permitted by the 2005 NEC. Take a look, you will be permitted to use up to 6 ft of a metallic wiring method to a receptacle without AFCI protection. This opens up the ability for the AFCI receptacle to be used. By the way, I think it has already been built but it is not on the market. :D

aelectricalman

I figured if it did become permisable there would be some restrictions. Like you stated, 6'. I guess they allowed this provision just for the reason of permitting receptacles huh. Cool.

linn

I contacted the people at Leviton and Hubble,neither one is making an AFCI receptacle at this time.
I also understand that there is a certain amount of controversay pertaining to the effectivness of the AFCI breakers themselves.
I believe they may have put them out there as a requirement before they did enough R&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.