AFCI/GFCI Protection

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No you do not need to add afci or gfci if the location of the new panel doesn't require more than 6' of wire to make it reach. Wire inside the enclosure does not count for the 6'

210.12(E) Branch Circuit Wiring Extensions, Modifications, or Replacements.
If branch-circuit wiring for any of the areas specified in 210.12(B), (C), or (D) is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
  • (1)
    By any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (A)(6)
  • (2)
    A listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Exception:
AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing branch-circuit conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices, other than splicing devices. This measurement shall not include the conductors inside an enclosure, cabinet, or junction box.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No you do not need to add afci or gfci if the location of the new panel doesn't require more than 6' of wire to make it reach. Wire inside the enclosure does not count for the 6'

210.12(E) Branch Circuit Wiring Extensions, Modifications, or Replacements.
If branch-circuit wiring for any of the areas specified in 210.12(B), (C), or (D) is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

* (1)
By any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (A)(6)
* (2)
A listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Exception:
AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing branch-circuit conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices, other than splicing devices. This measurement shall not include the conductors inside an enclosure, cabinet, or junction box.

I've been permitted not to install AFCI protection for line side extensions where the panel needs to be relocated, like from a stairway. The reasoning being you can't protect ONLY the new line side wiring which seems to be the intent of 210.12(E). And you can be looking at a major headache to track down existing issues in existing wiring that cause AFCIs to trip.

Rob G - Seattle

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've been permitted not to install AFCI protection for line side extensions where the panel needs to be relocated, like from a stairway. The reasoning being you can't protect ONLY the new line side wiring which seems to be the intent of 210.12(E). And you can be looking at a major headache to track down existing issues in existing wiring that cause AFCIs to trip.

Rob G - Seattle
They may have allowed you to do it but that is not code nor the intent. I tried to get the code panel to allow more distance than 6' but they rejected it. That clearly shows the intent, IMO. I agree it can be a royal pita if you run into a problem with afci's on an existing circuit.

Btw, NC has an amendment for 50' instead of 6' so I guess they agree with what your feelings are on this issue.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They may have allowed you to do it but that is not code nor the intent. I tried to get the code panel to allow more distance than 6' but they rejected it. That clearly shows the intent, IMO. I agree it can be a royal pita if you run into a problem with afci's on an existing circuit.

Btw, NC has an amendment for 50' instead of 6' so I guess they agree with what your feelings are on this issue.
You're definitely correct on the intention. I was thinking there was some wording that implied my previous interpretation but it seems very clear after rereading it that if you extend the supply side of the branch circuits more than 6' in order to relocate a panel, you would be required to add AFCI protection.

Rob G - Seattle