AFCI in a hanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

A hanger was burnt down because of a faulty fax machine and now the owner wants Arc-fault breakers on all lights and recepts. Any feed back on this????

Thank you.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
At present, the NEC only requires AFCI protection for outlets in dwelling unit bedrooms. See Article 210.12. However, nothing prohibits an owner from putting more into a facility than the minimum required by the NEC.

That said, I am putting a temporary hold on this thread. Your profile tells us nothing about your relationship to the electrical industry. We are not permitted to provide any assistance to a person who is not a member of the industry. Your question raises a concern in my mind, a concern that you might be gathering information to be used in a legal action related to the cause of the fire. We are absolutely forbidden by the Forum owner to provide any information of that nature.

If you wish to get any additional support or information on your question, then I must ask you to send me a Private Message explaining what ?work? you do and how that relates to your question.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
In a Private Message, the OP has clarified his role in this project and his position as an electrical contractor. This is not a legal dispute, but rather a question of how to prevent similar occurrences.

Therefore, I am reopening this thread. I apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.

charlie b said:
In a Private Message, the OP has clarified his role in this project and his position as an electrical contractor. This is not a legal dispute, but rather a question of how to prevent similar occurrences.

Therefore, I am reopening this thread. I apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.
...and this topic relates to Hazardous Area topic because:.......

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
weressl said:
...and this topic relates to Hazardous Area topic because:.......
. . . it involves an aircraft hangar, perhaps? Or just because there is no better place for it? I think we can safely leave it here.

Inspectorcliff

charlie b said:

. . . it involves an aircraft hangar, perhaps? Or just because there is no better place for it? I think we can safely leave it here.
Would that be like 513.4 or just because?;) This was edited to read appropriately.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd say that if the owner wants to spend the money on Arc Faults, and there are some available for the panelboards present, go for it. Be mindful that there are requirements prohibiting AFCI and GFCI protection for certain systems, such as in 760.21 and 760.41. I'm also assuming the lighting is 120V.

I would not make any promises about the AFCI preventing future fires, but it is a safer circuit breaker, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.