AFCI outlets vs AFCI combo breakers

crtemp

I have a situation where we have two 15 amp 120 volt circuits going from the electrical service to outlets, which are both less than 50 feet in length. My inspector is telling me that the wire must be installed in a metal raceway because I only have standard twin circuit breakers for my OCP, due to the fact I was only able to get 20/40 panels and this was the only way to get all the circuits to fit. The way I was reading it, as long as my runs were under the 50' length rule, I was ok. I have combination AFCI/GFCI receptalces that I was going to install at the first outlet to protect the circuits. Am I misinterpreting this?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What code year?
2011 and 2014 are the only ones that let you do NM the whole way. The special breakers don't exist BTW if you're reading the other exception.
2017-2023 you need metallic wiring methods so MC or emt or whatever. Then you need an afci device at the end.

crtemp

What code year?
2011 and 2014 are the only ones that let you do NM the whole way. The special breakers don't exist BTW if you're reading the other exception.
2017-2023 you need metallic wiring methods so MC or emt or whatever. Then you need an afci device at the end.
2023 NEC. Sounds like I’m gonna have to install some metal boxes and flex under the panels. I just love these supply issues that even made me resort to using the 20/40 panels in the first place. Ahhh!!

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
2023 NEC. Sounds like I’m gonna have to install some metal boxes and flex under the panels. I just love these supply issues that even made me resort to using the 20/40 panels in the first place. Ahhh!!
What brand panel? Siemens makes a tandem.

Dude just put in a subpanel right bellow the main and some flex from it

crtemp

What brand panel? Siemens makes a tandem.

Dude just put in a subpanel right bellow the main and some flex from it
It's a Square D panel. I thought of doing a subpanel but these are duplexs and I have a run of SER coming up from the crawl space feeding the panel. Not really any room for that.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Ya, not good. SER isn't in yet in the photo but comes from the bottom
Go to the side and fish in a 1 inch smurf or fmc. Use the 1 1/4 ko on the bottom side and take out some sheetrock if up. It's not that big a deal to add a sub panel. What you're suggesting with flex is just silly man might as well replace with MC then

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
which are both less than 50 feet in length. My inspector is telling me that the wire must be installed in a metal raceway because I only have standard twin circuit breakers for my OCP, due to the fact I was only able to get 20/40 panels and this was the only way to get all the circuits to fit. The way I was reading it, as long as my runs were under the 50' length rule, I was ok. I have combination AFCI/GFCI receptalces that I was going to install at the first outlet to protect the circuits.
The 50 or 70 ft information only related to fact the these AFCI of GFCI would have enough voltage drop over that distance that it would create significant nuisance tripping. First outlet installation of an AFCI does require a metallic wiring system such as EMT, MC, AC, or IMC, Rigid and nothing to do with 50ft or less.

crtemp

They do tandem afci also
No I can't get the bigger panels that was the issue in using the smaller ones. I forgot to mention this job is aleady sheet rocked and painted so I can't really just add a sub panel very easily. I spoke with the inspector and I'm just gonna install some 4 squares under the panel with flex and fix it that way. Thanks for the input guys!

crtemp

How’s that fix it is it not supposed to be metal all the way to first recep..
one of the dumbest rules by far
I'll add 4 square under the panel with metal flex, turn that into my homerun, put the afci plug there, then send a wire back up into the panel on the load side of the afci plug and splice into my original homerun. Fixed.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I'll add 4 square under the panel with metal flex, turn that into my homerun, put the afci plug there, then send a wire back up into the panel on the load side of the afci plug and splice into my original homerun. Fixed.
That's a brutal way to fix this. If you're going this route do 2 devices per 4 square also remember to use faceless devices for kitchen, CW, and any other required to be dedicated to the room circuits.

Remember you need gfi on the dryer too man.

crtemp

That's a brutal way to fix this. If you're going this route do 2 devices per 4 square also remember to use faceless devices for kitchen, CW, and any other required to be dedicated to the room circuits.

Remember you need gfi on the dryer too man.
It’s not all the circuits. Just 2 lighting circuits. Easy fix