AFCI protection in Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My opinion is the code panel feels that if an afci trips it could more dangers for the people in a shower at night. Imagine an old person in a shower at night and the lights go out.

BTW, welcome to the forum

Jose cisnero

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Dennis!
Have you ever imagine that same old person on a bed in the middle of the night ( trying to walk out of the room for water) in the dark cause the AFCI breaker detected an arc fault in one of the extension cords that feed the night stand lamps..
I think every corner of the house would be a dangerous scenario for a very elderly person.

Jose cisnero

Occupation
Electrician
An arc fault condition may occur in the bathroom itself or in the attic, in my opinion the bathroom requieres AFCI protection but the code does not address it.. would the AHJ have the last word on it..?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
An arc fault condition may occur in the bathroom itself or in the attic, in my opinion the bathroom requieres AFCI protection but the code does not address it.. would the AHJ have the last word on it..?

The bathroom is not required to have arc fault protection as the nec clearly did not intend for that to be the case. If you want to add afci then you can however, it is not required no matter what the authority having jurisdiction states.

kwired

Electron manager
I think I read they were intending to include bathrooms in 2020, even had it in first draft but somehow it got removed before final document, actually a little surprised it didn't stay in there.

Still not sold on AFCI myself, like the basic concept of them don't think what they have meets that concept in a reasonable manner, but surprised this happened that way.

Jose cisnero

Occupation
Electrician
210.12(C) is a new Section in the 2014 NECthat requires AFCI protection for the branch circuits supplying 125V, 15A or 20A outlets in dormitory bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, closets and similar rooms.
Similar...Rooms?
Is a Bath Room similar to a Kitchen, Laundry Room,............?

kwired

Electron manager
210.12(C) is a new Section in the 2014 NECthat requires AFCI protection for the branch circuits supplying 125V, 15A or 20A outlets in dormitory bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, closets and similar rooms.
Similar...Rooms?
For about every other situation no. Used to have similar wording until 2017 when they did add the word kitchen to the list.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Similar...Rooms?

Look at the definition of a kitchen---there is no way in the world that one can compare a kitchen to a bathroom.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For those that have the first edition of the 2020 handbook, you will be mislead into believing that AFCI is required for all 120 volt, 15 and 20 amp branch circuits. That is not correct and is based on the vote on the floor of the NFPA meeting that would have required that protection. When there is a floor vote on a rule change that is accepted, the rule returns to the code making panel and must receive a 2/3s majority to become part of the code. The vote at CPM2 was 7 to 7, and per the NFPA rules, the language in the 2020 code reverts back to the most reason language that had consensus...that is the language in the 2017 code. There is no change in the areas that require AFCI protection in the 2020 code.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For those that have the first edition of the 2020 handbook, you will be mislead into believing that AFCI is required for all 120 volt, 15 and 20 amp branch circuits. That is not correct and is based on the vote on the floor of the NFPA meeting that would have required that protection. When there is a floor vote on a rule change that is accepted, the rule returns to the code making panel and must receive a 2/3s majority to become part of the code. The vote at CPM2 was 7 to 7, and per the NFPA rules, the language in the 2020 code reverts back to the most reason language that had consensus...that is the language in the 2017 code. There is no change in the areas that require AFCI protection in the 2020 code.
Hi Don,
Am I to understand that AFCI requirements gave not changed since the NEC 2017 code book was published? Do you know where I can access the information you just posted above?
Or is it in the second addition of the NEC 2020 Code book?
Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Hi Don,
Am I to understand that AFCI requirements gave not changed since the NEC 2017 code book was published? Do you know where I can access the information you just posted above?
Thanks
For "dwelling units" I don't think there was any changes as far as what rooms require AFCI since 2014 as a general rule. That is when they added kitchens and laundry areas and included "devices" along with "outlets".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi Don,
Thanks
The actual code book is correct. It is only the handbook that is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.