AFCI Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Wiretech said:
Does anyone know of any manufacturer making or having plans, to make in the future, AFCI receptacles to use instead of breakers?
Yeah, there is at least one, but the name of the company escapes me at the moment. It was nothing recognizable, I assure you.

Under the '08 you can't have but a few feet of un-AFCI protected cable anyhow, so the receptacles won't be of much benefit. I envision a whole line of AFCI receptacles next to or near the panel, which is a bit ridiculous. They've effectively forced you into using AFCI breakers.

mdshunk

I just checked the UL site, and there don't appear to be any listed AFCI receptacles anymore. There was one, at one point, because somebody posted about it on this very site with pictures and all. They have a category for it still, but no listed manufacturers making anything in that category.

Wiretech

Thanks Marc.
The reason I asked about this is I was reading 210.12 in the 2008 NEC and I saw exception No. 1, which I understood to say that you could use an afci device such as an afci receptacle in the first outlet as long as it was in a metal box and the conductors were ran in RMC, IMC, EMT or AC.
I didn't see any restriction on distance from the BCOD in the 2008, the 2005 said 1.8m or 6 ft. So I was wondering what you could use besides the combo AFCI breaker.

electricmanscott

P&S Produced one but never sold it and will not. I beleive the reason is because the only way it could legally be used would be if it was installed at the first receptacle in the circuit and the feed to that point was a metallic raceway or cable. Not a vary likely or practicle installation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you look at the detailed description for that device it describes a GFCI not an AFCI. The only thing that says AFCI is the title.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.