AFCI required for device in bedroom, but outlet in attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Rental property maintenance
I know that NEC requires AFCI breakers for bedrooms, but not attics.

What if the appliance is in a bedroom, but it's plugged into a receptacle outlet in an attic?

I have a small 115V mini split head with a plug (not hard-wired). My choices are:

(1) Cut in an outlet box into the ceiling. Definitely requires an AFCI breaker, which is safer, but I'm wary of nuisance tripping, so I prefer to avoid the AFCI if I can.

(2) Install the outlet box in the attic, and run the power cable/plug up through the ceiling to the attic. Uncertain whether I need the AFCI.

If I need the AFCI either way, then I'll go with option 1, since it's cleaner.

I imagine the answer is going to be, "Whatever the local inspector says they want."

James L

Occupation
Electrician
How do you have a plug for a mini split head unit?

They get power and control from the outside condenser. Are you trying to run the control wire through the receptacle, too? 🤔

kwired

Electron manager
If it is 120V it doesn't matter if it is cord and plug connected or not. In a bedroom (or any other room mentioned in 210.12) it needs AFCI protection if 15 or 20 amps @ 120 volts.

kwired

Electron manager
kwired, I think you've missed pretty much everything that was said.
Others addressed the cord passing through to the attic issue.

My post did answer this:
If I need the AFCI either way, then I'll go with option 1, since it's cleaner.
NEC has no exceptions to AFCI for this situation. If your unit were 208-240 volts AFCI would not be a requirement.

Occupation
Rental property maintenance
kwired, your post didn't "answer" anything, since the bit that you quoted of me wasn't a question.

I said in my very first post that I know that bedrooms require AFCI, and repeated that in post #5. I don't know how you missed that.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Haven't seen a minisplit that is actually powered by a separate 120 circuit. Most I've encountered were powered via the condenser unit that provides power to the head units via a spilt of the 240V at the condenser unit. That then would not require AFCI, but GFCI would be required under the 23 code.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many, many years ago we had one that had a 120v unit and we had never seen one before. Of course, we hooked it up at 240v. Service guy noticed it after it had been on for a day or two. We fixed it and I can't believe the unit ran for months before some part gave way. We ended up paying for the repair

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Haven't seen a minisplit that is actually powered by a separate 120 circuit. Most I've encountered were powered via the condenser unit that provides power to the head units via a spilt of the 240V at the condenser unit.

I have one right here (7000 Btu) for my office that uses 120 but the indoor unit is powered through the condensing unit where the 120V is brought to.
Most mini split systems up to 12,000 BTUs can use this voltage.

Your link is not exactly what we are talking about. Yeah, I know there are mini-splits that require 120V, I have one. We are talking about the indoor evaporator unit being separately 120V powered, independent of from the outdoor condensing unit that may even be 240V.

For those who don't know, a "mini-split" is comprised of an outdoor condensing unit and one or more indoor units as a complete system. (The indoor unit(s) is not called a mini-split.)

-Hal

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Most mini split systems the indoor unit is powered from the condenser. But there was one years ago (I think it was Sanyo) they were popular for a while and then got bought out by Panasonic that the indoor unit was separate circuit from the outdoor.

kwired

Electron manager
The load of the indoor unit is peanuts compared to the outdoor unit, but yes they usually have a cable between them and outdoor unit that has power and control conductors in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.