Afci requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: As we all know from the new Code Book. Just about everthing in a house has to be GFCI OR AFCI. But it doesn't really say anything about the outside lighting circuits. Do you put it on AFCI OR NOT?

Also: the kitchen lighting AFCI or NOT? :grin:

garbo

Afci

Afci

At an electrical diner/workshop 2 month ago we were told that any 120 volt resdental circuit that is not required to be GFCI protected must be AFCI protected.

Power Tech

To add this: I run a dedicated 15 amp AFCI circuit to each bedroom and scab off one for the smokes. You can protect any circuit with a GFI or AFCI but that is what is required.

480sparky

Enlighten me Yoda.

Just about everything in the '08 is AFCId.

210.12. Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Last edited:

480sparky

Thanks 480 didn't no. Wow.

If your permits are on the '08, you'd better start changing your pricing.
emoticon-0103-cool.gif

sparkyjim

Had an inspector tell me that it did not include lighting (recessed or surface mount) - which makes sense to me, not sure what an afci would think of a dimming system.

MF Dagger

To add this: I run a dedicated 15 amp AFCI circuit to each bedroom and scab off one for the smokes. You can protect any circuit with a GFI or AFCI but that is what is required.
I take a home run to a smoke in the basement and then catch all the smokes on the way to the bedroom that is furthest away from the panel and then I feed that one with it. Not just bedroom anymore but you get the drift.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Had an inspector tell me that it did not include lighting (recessed or surface mount) - which makes sense to me, not sure what an afci would think of a dimming system.
The code does not say that. The circuits that feed those lights, if they are in the areas covered by 210.12, must have AFCI protection.

480sparky

Then your inspector is wrong. The AFCI requirements are for circuits, not receptacles.

eprice

I'm going to check what year we go by here. Thanks again.

Here's another angle to look at as well. Depending on how the various codes are adopted in your jurisdiction, it may be that the IRC electrical section covers one and two family residential buildings and the NEC covers everything else. The next edition of the IRC will be the 2009. Until that one gets adopted, the 2006 IRC mirrors the 2005 NEC with respect to AFCI requirements.

Sonny Boy

Washington state has lightned up with respect to AFCIs.

 Limitations On Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter Protection (AFCI)

The 2008 NEC requires combination arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI) for virtually every room within a dwelling unit. Washington stakeholders have elected to maintain the 2005 NEC level of AFCI protected circuits. The rules will not require additional AFCI circuits beyond those for the bedrooms. The rules supersede the NEC as follows:

WAC 296-46B-210 Wiring and protection - Branch circuits. Arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection. ?(4) NEC 210.12(B) is amended to require AFCI protection only for dwelling unit bedroom spaces.

(a) Dwelling Unit Bedroom spaces include spaces that:
(i) Are used as the bedroom;
(ii) Are accessed only through the bedroom;
(iii) Are ancillary to the bedroom's function (e.g. closets, sitting areas, etc.); (iv) Contain branch circuits that supply 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere, outlets;
and (v) Are not bathrooms.

(b) If a new circuit(s) is added in an existing dwelling unit bedroom, an existing outlet(s) that is not connected to the new circuit(s) does not require arc-fault circuit interrupter protection if the outlet(s) was installed before December 1, 2005.

(c) If an existing circuit, installed before December 1, 2005, is extended, arc-fault circuit interrupter protection is not required. (d) Arc-fault circuit interrupter protection is not required to be used for smoke or fire alarm outlets.?

I got red tagged in 2007 for an install which is now legal per item (c). HO's only option was to install a sub panel or service panel that would accept AFCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.