afci

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: afci

210.12(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter listed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit.

The NEC doesn't define either room. So a closet isn't a bedroom. But it's possible that a jurisdiction might define the rooms and apply the NEC using those definitions.

I wonder where they get 125 volts from. :confused: Maybe it's a loop hole.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The closet is not part of the bedroom. But if you supply it from the same branch circuit, it will be AFCI-protected, because the entire circuit requires that protection. On the other hand, if you supply the closet from a different circuit, it will not require AFCI.

The "125 volts" is the rating of the receptacle and of the outlet into which the receptacle is installed. The branch circuit supplying power to that receptacle outlet is rated 120 volts.

[ August 10, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

physis

The "125 volts" is the rating of the receptacle and of the outlet into which the receptacle is installed.
:confused:

There's no receptacle specified and I'm not sure how you'd have a 125 volt rating at a point on a wiring system.

allenwayne

I have seen readings on my fluke that range from 118 to 127 volts.Guess it depends on the transformer :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

When I recently checked the voltage on my home service, I had 124 volts to ground and 247.8 volts line to line.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

The NEC doesn't define either room. So a closet isn't a bedroom. But it's possible that a jurisdiction might define the rooms and apply the NEC using those definitions.
as you say !

the last inspector meeting I attended in my State (TN) they agreed a "bedroom closet" should be AFCI protected....

physis

For what it's worth Augie I think it makes at least as much sense to require AFI circuits in clothes closets as it does in bedrooms. Not that I believe they should be required in the first place.

jimwalker

If they make it a local law then fine but in most places a room is what its called on the stamped prints.What code can they cite ?Bedroom is a bedroom,a closet is a closet.Using there logic do they include the master bath ? If AFCI are worth having then all rooms should have them.Is a living room exempt from arcs ?

I agree with jimwalker. It's a bunch of garbage how alot of the inspectors interpret things. Our inspector does not require the lighting and/or smoke detectors to be AFCI protected in bedrooms. The last time I checked, the NEC is the minimum set of requirements to follow...inspectors can add to those requirement, but cannot take away. None the less, I go adhere to NEC rules instead of what the local says we can do.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Using there logic do they include the master bath ?
I have to agree there.

I just found out that one inspection agency is requiring the master bedroom closet to be AFCI protected, "unless the electrician says something".
But the master bath is not required.

Of course, I "said something".

JohnE

Originally posted by physis:
210.12(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter listed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit.

I wonder where they get 125 volts from. :confused: Maybe it's a loop hole.
The closet is not a bedroom - I agree. But the closet is in the bedroom, therefore an outlet in the closet within the bedrrom is essentially in the bedroom. My interpretation.

John

be4jc

Well if the Closet is required to have arc fault because it's part of the sleeping room! ;)
How's that for o0pening a can of WORMS :eek:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by nedard2004:
I agree with jimwalker. It's a bunch of garbage how alot of the inspectors interpret things. Our inspector does not require the lighting and/or smoke detectors to be AFCI protected in bedrooms. The last time I checked, the NEC is the minimum set of requirements to follow...inspectors can add to those requirement, but cannot take away. None the less, I go adhere to NEC rules instead of what the local says we can do.
I take issue with this.

Local inspectors cannot add to the NEC. Local jurisdictions in many cases have enacted rules that are either more or less restrictive than the NEC, but the inspector does not have legislative authority, so cannot do this on his/her own.

By code, the inspector can indeed approve an installation that does not meet the NEC (not that it is likely to happen on any regular basis).

physis

Well be4jc if the closet's a habitable room it'll need a lighting outlet too.

And how have we been getting away with not applying 210.52(A)?

j_erickson, I'm just funnin'. :p

jimwalker

From my understanding Pasco county in FL. calls any room with a closet a bedroom as far as requiring smokes but does not require afci.I might be wrong on this and Allen will correct me i hope.It is a step in the right direction.Recently had the project to wire a house even thow we are commercial only.This house was at least 3,000 sq ft and had several rooms and 2 offices but only one room was labeled BEDROOM.They would not be talked into any extra smokes just the one inside and outside of the bedroom.What bothers me is 3 of the other rooms could be made into a bedroom easily and likely will if they ever sell this house.While the afci is easy to fix and im sure we could even cut in the extra smokes ,the chances are low that either will be corrected.Why do we not require smokes in all the rooms ? Howmany have had overnight guest sleep on a couch in the living room.Or use a den as a bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.