afci

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcole

Hello guys and gals.

I had continue education yesterday. The guy teaching was talking about afci. He said the first generation of arch faults could only detect series faults and not parallel.

I thought it was just the opposite. He seemed very sure of his self when I confronted him about it at break. Am I misinformed?

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Hello guys and gals.

I had continue education yesterday. The guy teaching was talking about afci. He said the first generation of arch faults could only detect series faults and not parallel.

I thought it was just the opposite. He seemed very sure of his self when I confronted him about it at break. Am I misinformed?

See

According to some books

A "combination AFCI breaker" will provide protection against

1.Parallel arcing (line to neutral).
2.Series arcing (a loose, broken, or otherwise high resistance segment in a single line)

raider1

Staff member
The instructor is wrong.

The branch/feeder type of AFCI protection only detected a parallel arc and not a series arc.

The combination AFCI breaker provides parallel and series protection.

Chris

jon dougherty

from the instructor who caused the confusion

from the instructor who caused the confusion

Sorry for the mis information.

Some times an instructor needs to pay attention to the words coming out of his mouth.

I humbly stand corrected.

J Cole thanks for the assistance in this matter.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Some times an instructor needs to pay attention to the words coming out of his mouth.

Wow , I am impressed with your humbleness. The reality is that info that was misquoted is not that important, so no damage was done. :)

I always forget which came first, the chicken or the egg....:)

I wont forget it this time parallel or series-- well "P" comes before "S". Got it.

bphgravity

To be accurate, the branch circuit/feeder type and combination type detect characteristics of the wave form that might be an arc occuring.

I am still not convinced they really work at all...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
To be accurate, the branch circuit/feeder type and combination type detect characteristics of the wave form that might be an arc occuring.

I am still not convinced they really work at all...
Part of the AFCI works...the GFP part. It is my opinion that most of the trips for an AFCI are from the GFP and not the fancy arc signature stuff.

macmikeman

To join the forum and make this your first post is quite astounding and tells people quite a bit about your good characture. Welcome to this site and please stop by often.

Status
Not open for further replies.