AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question states:Where is AFCI NOT required? Choices are A)115v wall AC in dwelling B)smoke alarm C)Hydromassage in a bedroom bathroom D)lighting and receptacle in an unfinished basement E)115v receptacle over countertop in a dwelling. I chose D and E but im not sure,any help would be appreciated.

Yes Section 210.12 A requires that AFCI protection be provided for all 15 and 20 amp,120 volt branch circuits that supply outlets.Other than outlets installed in kitchens,bathrooms,unfinished basements,garages and outdoors.My choices were based on not requiring AFCI protection if its already GFCI protected.Am i overthinking this thing?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Question states:Where is AFCI NOT required? Choices are A)115v wall AC in dwelling B)smoke alarm C)Hydromassage in a bedroom bathroom D)lighting and receptacle in an unfinished basement E)115v receptacle over countertop in a dwelling. I chose D and E but im not sure,any help would be appreciated.

Yes Section 210.12 A requires that AFCI protection be provided for all 15 and 20 amp,120 volt branch circuits that supply outlets.Other than outlets installed in kitchens,bathrooms,unfinished basements,garages and outdoors.My choices were based on not requiring AFCI protection if its already GFCI protected.Am i overthinking this thing?

Around here it differs from city to city, but my answer from your multiple guess answers would be (c) (d), and (e)

You might stick A in there as well, since the question states 115V and the code says 120V.:p

kwired

Electron manager

I had to read the commentary from the handbook,the code book left me guessing too.

210.12 is not that hard to understand. Yes you can figure if it requires GFCI it generally does not require AFCI, but that is not always true.

Choice E is not that clear. Kitchen countertop - no, bathroom countertop - no, wet bar countertop - yes.

Similar situation with A. If in a living room or bedroom - yes. If in a kitchen or bathroom - no.

smoke alarm in a room not mentioned in 210.12 does not require AFCI but if on same circuit as other AFCI's (which is typical) in the mentioned rooms then yes - AFCI is required to protect the entire circuit.

Hydromassage tub is in a bathroom - no afci required in a bathroom at all.

No requirements for AFCI in unfinished basements - unless the outlet in question is on same circuit as outlets in a place that requires AFCI - AFCI protection is required to protect the entire circuit.

Poorly worded question - many of the possible answers have conditions that will make a difference and they are not clear at all. The hydromassage in the bath is about the only one that is clear cut.

resistance

Obviously the question is stupid, and if you got it wrong, you could argue a legitimate reason why the question is faulty. If you aren?t passing your test, it may not be your fault!!

Status
Not open for further replies.