AFCI's for NJ contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I helped a friend re-wire a ranch house that he purchased. This house was a bomb and should have been burnt to the ground. That said, he decided to gut the house down to the studs, re-wire every room and re-plumb the kitchen and bathroom. The basement was unfinished at the time. A wall was removed on the main floor separating the kitchen from the LR. We upgraded the electric service before all interior work was started. We re-wired all areas using std. circuit breakers based on the NJ rehab code. The job (including the electric service) was inspected and passed.

Since that time my friend decided to add a bathroom in the basement. Hew did all the work including electrical. There are now finished walls, a storage area, a utility area and a work bench area. I did not help him do any of the work but the EI now tells him he has to use AFCI's for this area. Is this considered a "re-purposed area" and should AFCI''s be required. Again, looking at the NJ Rehab Code.

Thanks in advance.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As I recall, "re-purposed" is about changing the occupancy of the area, like from mercantile (M) to storage (S), or business (B) to educational (E). Your buddy's home is still the same residential classification it always was, and putting a bathroom in the basement doesn't change anything that would trigger the upgrade requirement. Going by memory, so take it for what it's worth.

HHSINSP

Occupation
Electrical Subcode
this is per the NJ UCC article 6.9 New Building elements,
#26.As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI) Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units provided a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
this is per the NJ UCC article 6.9 New Building elements,
#26.As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI) Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units provided a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available
That's fine but if you gut the house down to the studs and then re-wire, is it considered new wiring or does it fall under the Rehab Code ?

Thanks for the replies. I just sent an e-mail to the State DCA Code Assistance Unit for clarification. If they reply I'll post what I find out.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That's fine but if you gut the house down to the studs and then re-wire, is it considered new wiring or does it fall under the Rehab Code ?

Thanks for the replies. I just sent an e-mail to the State DCA Code Assistance Unit for clarification. If they reply I'll post what I find out.
As long as you leave as little as one wall, let alone all the studs, it's still a rehab, at least for residential. As long as you keep the same footprint.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As long as you leave as little as one wall, let alone all the studs, it's still a rehab, at least for residential. As long as you keep the same footprint.
That's what I was taught. Still waiting for a reply from the local EI and the State DCA. I'll post what I find out.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's the answer I received from my inquiry :
The only reference to AFCI in the Rehabilitation subcode is at NJAC 5:23-6.9(a)26, where it states:
As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI)
Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units
provided a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available.

If you have further questions, please contact the number below.

Robert S. Austin
Code Assistance/Development Unit
NJ Dept. of Community Affairs
Division of Codes and Standards
101 S. Broad St.
PO Box 802
Trenton, NJ 08625
(609) 984-7609 (phone)
(609) 633-6729 (fax)
www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes
So, I'm guessing that because my friend added a bathroom in his basement it would qualify as a new circuit and therefore would require AFCI

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I found out yesterday after speaking with the township EI that he didn't make the request for AFCI's. It turns out that the house was up for sale and has a buyer. It was the buyer's home inspector who stated that AFCI's were required. Apparently he needs more training. Imagine, running something up the flagpole to see if it flies :-(.

This same home inspector claimed that there were no ground rods installed, that there was no drip loop in the SE cable and that water would enter through the weather head and corrode the meter as well as several other minor items. This service was inspected and passed by both the township EI and the POCO representative. Why do these guys try to come off as electrical professionals ???

Status
Not open for further replies.