AFCI's/ remodel work

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceH

I know I should know this but I do mostly service work and STILL haven't purchased the 05 book. I landed a remodel job and here's the question. Does every single outlet in the bedroom need to be on the one afci circuit, ceiling fan, smoke, lights, everything? Also, could that same afci circuit also feed 2 receptacles in the adjacent bedroom, there are presently none on that wall. Excuse my ignorance and thanks for any replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Re: AFCI's/ remodel work

Regarding outlets, yes for 15 and 20 amp 125 V only.
Please review the definition for outlet. An outlet is not a receptacle.
The AFCI requirements are the minimum, so the AFCI circuit can be used for other "outlets".

BruceH

Tom, thank you for the reply. I fully realize that an "outlet" is not a receptacle. I don't know why you assumed otherwise. I know the 05 made some changes to the afci requirements hence my request for clarification.

macmikeman

Bruce, if you want to you can have more than one afci circuit in a bedroom. Just be sure to have afci protection on all 120 volt 15, and 20 amp outlets.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Bruce,

You can review 210.12(B) and everything else in the '05 NEC for free at the NFPA web site .

You'll have to agree to a EULA, and there is no ability to cut or paste. . .but it is there to read. Pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.