after hour rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Throughout my electrician career almost anytime an electrician sees the previous electrician's work he can pick it apart. Hell, I can do it too.

Johnny Carson once said in his nightly monologue. "I am having my house remodeled, the electrician came out took the panel cover off and stood there shaking his head, I asked "What" He said " I have never seen a mess quite like this in all my 30 years." Johnny responded "you installed it last year"

Off hours work is part of by companies forte, it is expected, several of my men make more in overtime then they do from their 40 hour paycheck. Just part of the business.

kkwong

For us anything after 1700 to 2200 is time and a half, sundays/holidays and from 2200-0655 (don't ask about the time, i don't know) is double time both have a three hour minimum from time we start the truck. like most companies materials is a static price, cost plus 10% give or take.

I have heard of companies charging triple time for sundays and holidays with a five hour minimum. I guess it all depends on the status of your company and how desperate the customer is.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
satcom said:
He better take a lot of family pictures before he starts!

But it would be a great idea, for someone that wants no part of family life.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Someone who didn't mind being up all night in the peace and quiet. Someone who wasn't looking for a 40 hour a week job. Someone who only had himself to support.

dab

for a client that requested work during normal work hours and i get there late sue to my taking care of something that delayed me, i charge regular rate. this only applies to me. when i have an employee it will have to be ot to cover costs.

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
Time and a half after hours, double time on Sundays or holidays. Clock starts ticking when the key turns in the truck on an after hours call.

That is pretty much how the companies I have worked for bill out along with a 4 hour minimum for emergency calls.

tmbrk

Had an emergency service call last Sunday. HO said the storm we had the night before had brought down his overhead service(100-amp). He asked me how much, I said I had to see the extent of the damage. Got there and found riser pulled away from house. Broken meter hub, cracked meter block, broken weather head, fried service conductors in rigid pipe. I gave him a price and he was appalled. He said he was a residential contractor and would've had his electrician fix it but couldn't get ahold of him. He said " I build houses and I know this is only about $200 worth of parts so I'm not paying more than $300.00 for the entire install." I asked him if that is what his guy would charge, he said yes. I told him your guys an idiot, thanks for waisting my time and went on my way. Ten minutes down the road he called me and said he would consider $400.00. I hung up on him and turned off my phone.

satcom

tmbrk said:
He said he was a residential contractor and would've had his electrician fix it but couldn't get ahold of him. He said " I build houses and I know this is only about $200 worth of parts so I'm not paying more than $300.00 for the entire install." I asked him if that is what his guy would charge, he said yes. I told him your guys an idiot, thanks for waisting my time and went on my way. Ten minutes down the road he called me and said he would consider $400.00. I hung up on him and turned off my phone.

If he was a residential contractor, he would know the cost of providing services, and should of been, more then pleased with you responding.

celtic

480sparky said:
I he can do a 100 OH service for two c-notes, he's probably at the grocery store stocking up on ramen noodles.

LOL....Ramen noodles are even cheaper than Mac & Cheese!

But that's ok, there is so much sodium in the ramen his heart will explode and he'll be out of the game anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.