AHU disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been helping a friend wire two outlying buildings being used for both storage and office use. Each building is fed with a 100 amp feeder run out of a 200 amp, 240 volt main breaker panel located in the main office building. In each of these buildings he has an AC unit with AHU's that also have electric heaters built in. Each AHU has (2) 2-pole, 60 amp breakers built in for the dual heating elements. My first thought is that a) he's over the top on the design with these units and b) if both heaters kick on in both buildings he's going to have serious issues. After contacting the manufacturer he was told he can use just one of the heater elements and does not have to wire both.

Anyway, my question is this - irrespective of whether I wire one or both of the 60 amp breakers in each of the AHU's am I required to provide separate local disconnects or safety switches for these units ? My thinking is that I do. Granted, if someone has to work on the unit he can shut the respective breaker but if any part of the unit has to be replaced or require a complete shutdown he would have to go down a flight of stairs and walk over to a breaker panel to shut down if I didn't provide the disconnect. I'm not looking to gold plate this job - just trying to do the right thing.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
424.19(C)

(C) Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means. A unit
switch(es) with a marked “off” position that is part of a fixed
heater and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be
permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article
where other means for disconnection are provided in the types
of occupancies in 424.19(C)(1) through (C)(4).

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis. I think you cited the wrong Code section. There is no 422.19(C). After looking closely I see that you actually meant 424.19(C).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.