Air Conditioners & Lighting voltage drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

Hello,

On an 347volt/600volt Panel there is about 80 kw of Greenhouse lighting load. Is adding 3 Three Phase 10 Ton 600 volt Air Conditioners drawing 23 amps each going to cause brown outs or damage with the HID Lighting? My buddy who has been doing Greenhouses all his life says it is common to have mixed loads.

Thanks!

Ingenieur

no way to answer that, need
xfmr data
service entrance data
panel data
sequencing of units, all at once or one at a time
compressor starting method: vfd or fvnr

JFletcher

What the above poster wrote. That said, if you were to have multiple grow rooms, and 24-hour operation , only 60 KW of that lighting load would ever be on at one time, during bloom, when the lights are 18 on 6 off.

Regardless of how the units are driven, I would not have all three start simultaneously. I don't believe a 10-ton AC would be vfd driven, might even be started across the line, which would put total inrush between 300 and 400 amps.

I don't think HID Ballast are particularly susceptible to failure from under voltage or brown out, however I do not know how those fancy ballasts that are designed for grow rooms would fare.

And yes, your buddy is right, mix loads are common for grow rooms. About 95% of the load on the service is the lighting and the air conditioning. You will need to do a load calculation to see if your existing Transformer, service, and panel or panels are adequate to add the air conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.