Air conditioning bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoCB

Good morning folks,

Saw a client ordering EMT ( galvanized steel) and grounding cable ( quite a quantity of it ) for the same installation of an AC equipment,
according to 440.61 Air con is ruled by 250, therefore should I recommend skipping the grounding cable and just use jumpers to connect the AC receptacle to the EMT for bonding and save him some cash ?

Thanks for your support !!!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Good morning folks,

Saw a client ordering EMT ( galvanized steel) and grounding cable ( quite a quantity of it ) for the same installation of an AC equipment,
according to 440.61 Air con is ruled by 250, therefore should I recommend skipping the grounding cable and just use jumpers to connect the AC receptacle to the EMT for bonding and save him some cash ?

Thanks for your support !!!

I take it your in the supply house business?

Not that it really matters, but, did he buy EMT or Galvanized Steel Rigid?

What kind of Grounding cable did you sell him?

What do you mean by "Jumpers" ?

I'm speculating that you sold him some EMT, along with some green wire he was going to use a an EGC, and, You were thinking since it was run in EMT he did not need the wire type EGC, so, you want to sell him some Ground Stingers to jumper from the green grounding screw on the receptacle to the box for positive bonding?

WHeeeww,, that's a lot of speculation.

Let us know.

JAP>

OrlandoCB

I take it your in the supply house business?

Not that it really matters, but, did he buy EMT or Galvanized Steel Rigid?

What kind of Grounding cable did you sell him?

What do you mean by "Jumpers" ?

I'm speculating that you sold him some EMT, along with some green wire he was going to use a an EGC, and, You were thinking since it was run in EMT he did not need the wire type EGC, so, you want to sell him some Ground Stingers to jumper from the green grounding screw on the receptacle to the box for positive bonding?

WHeeeww,, that's a lot of speculation.

Let us know.

JAP>

Thanks for all the replies !!! Really appreciate it,

Atm we are quoting the material, but this client is a good bloke and we want to help him,
The quote is for both the galvanized steel 3/4" and the green wire for ground (10 AWG if Irecall correctly). I was thinking of offering him two quotes one without the ground wire and another with it, after talking to him he explained us that the project is for an AC equipment (rooftop). Think ill give a look to 440.9

Regarding the bonding jumpers, since everything is steel its not even needed so just forget that i mention that : P

kwired

Electron manager
Is this on a rooftop? If under the 2017 see 440.9.

Wasn't aware of that change.

I don't see the risk of losing continuity being much different for other outdoor locations, maybe even higher risk where there is more accessibility to people than there usually is on a rooftop:blink:

Maybe they are afraid of roofers messing up something existing when they come to make repairs?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I recall some discussion at a seminar indicating there had been some substantiation concerning folks working on the roof or rooftop equipment stepping on conduits and breaking the continuity especially when the conduit is run on blocks.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I recall some discussion at a seminar indicating there had been some substantiation concerning folks working on the roof or rooftop equipment stepping on conduits and breaking the continuity especially when the conduit is run on blocks.

It's probably a good idea seeing as how most roofs are either rock covered or have a rubber membrane, which would somewhat isolate the units from other ground fault return paths that may be more abundant had the pipe without a wire type EGC had been run on the metal portions on the inside of the building.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager

Better raceway support rules seem necessary for this area, especially for 1/2 and 3/4 EMT.

Steel vs die cast fittings also will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.