Air Handler disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be an argument here that an air handler with built in breakers must still have a means of disconnect. I am saying that 430.103 states it can be built into the same enclosure. Can anyone tell me another code that requires an additional disconnecting means?

luckylerado

Seems to be an argument here that an air handler with built in breakers must still have a means of disconnect. I am saying that 430.103 states it can be built into the same enclosure. Can anyone tell me another code that requires an additional disconnecting means?

440.14 does a better job of clearing it up

Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily
accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed
on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Be careful if you are on the 2014 code. If the access door to the breaker that is inside the HVAC equipment requires any type of tool, that breaker cannot be used as the required disconnect. The code rule requires the disconnect be readily accessible, and if you need a tool to get to it, then it is not readily accessible.
Accessible, Readily (ReadilyAccessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

440.14 does a better job of clearing it up

Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily
accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed
on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

Thank You that's what I was looking for. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.