Aircraft Hangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

thais

I also posted this in the "Hazardous (Classified)" forum, because I wasn't sure of the best place.

In, NFPA 409 Aircraft Hangars, Section 5.15.1 requires hangars to be provided with grounding facilities for removal and control of static electrical accumulations on aircraft while they are being stored. In the next sections 5.15.2 and 15.15.3, the code requires an adequate number of floor-grounding receptacles with the receptacles to be grounded through driven electrodes or electrically bonded together in a grid system and the grid system grounded to underground metal piping. The grounding wires shall be bare. Of course, all of this must be installed per NEC 513. Is this section requiring Class 1, Div 1 rated grounded floor receptacles? If so, what is an adequate number? Instead of using the normal green conductor as the ground conductor, does the ground have to be bare? Is the "grid system" just the normal grounding system provided on a grounded system? When an aircraft is stored in a hangar, is there a system on-board that is plugged into the grounded receptacle?

Yes, this is my first electrical design for an aircraft hangar. The hangar is to be used for storage only, but the aircraft will have fuel in them.

Thanks for any help.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Aircraft Hangar

We don't allow duplicates. I am closing this thread. Please offer your comments to this question here.

Status
Not open for further replies.