Aircraft Hangars Electrostatic Discharge Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshopkins

Article 513 makes the entire floor area of a hangar a Class I, Division 2 classification up to 18" AFF.

Another NFPA article calls for grounding facilities to remove and control static electrical accumulations within the hangar.

Can floor grounding receptacles be used in the classified space? Do they have to be identified for use in a Class I, Div 2 space?

Pursuant to 513.8, will the bonding cable between the receptacles be Class 1, Division 1, since it will be below the slab?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Can floor grounding receptacles be used in the classified space?
Yes
Do they have to be identified for use in a Class I, Div 2 space?
Yes
Pursuant to 513.8, will the bonding cable between the receptacles be Class 1, Division 1, since it will be below the slab?
Yes, but see Section 501.30; it won't otherwise require anything special.

mshopkins

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of a manufacturer of a floor mounted grounding receptacle identified for use in a Class I, Division 2 space? I have already checked with Appleton and Killark.

Won't it require rigid threaded metallic or intermediate steel conduit below slab and boundary seals at the edges of the boundaries?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of a manufacturer of a floor mounted grounding receptacle identified for use in a Class I, Division 2 space? I have already checked with Appleton and Killark.
I don?t know of such a supplier; however, identified is a defined term in the NEC and it, in this case at least, does not necessarily mean listed or labeled for Class I applications.
Won't it require rigid threaded metallic or intermediate steel conduit below slab and boundary seals at the edges of the boundaries?
No. Generally grounding connections in classified locations only need to be consistent with Article 250 unless they are one of the special applications modified by 501.30(A) or (B).

Status
Not open for further replies.