Airport Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any code articles that govern airport ltg. and safety issues re:constant current regulators 5KW-30KW establishing approx. voltage of 1000-5000/w a current output of 6.6 amps , approx. 100 runway or taxiway lights?

iwire

Staff member
Is there any code articles that govern airport ltg. and safety issues re:constant current regulators 5KW-30KW establishing approx. voltage of 1000-5000/w a current output of 6.6 amps , approx. 100 runway or taxiway lights?

I would bet the FAA has something to say.

cpal

this is the only i know off hand

310.7 Direct-Burial Conductors.
Conductors used for direct-burial applications shall be of a type identified for such use.
Cables rated above 2000 volts shall be shielded.
Exception No. 1: Nonshielded multiconductor cables rated 2001?2400 volts shall be permitted if the cable has an overall metallic sheath or armor.
The metallic shield, sheath, or armor shall be connected to a grounding electrode conductor, grounding busbar, or a grounding electrode.
Exception No. 2: Airfield lighting cable used in series circuits that are rated up to 5000 volts and are powered by regulators shall be permitted to be nonshielded.
FPN to Exception No. 2: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circulars (ACs) provide additional practices and methods for airport lighting.
FPN No. 1: See 300.5 for installation requirements for conductors rated 600 volts or less.
FPN No. 2: See 300.50 for installation requirements for conductors rated over 600 volts.
For the 2008 Code, the requirements for grounding the metallic shield have been clarified and more specifically stated. In addition, the revised Exception No. 1 limits the omission of shielding up to the 2.4-kV level only for direct burial conductors. In coordination with present Federal Aviation Administration provisions for airfield lighting cable, Exception No. 2 is new, permitting certain circuits up to 5 kV to be unshielded as well. See 310.7, Exception No. 2 and the associated fine print note for specific provisions and original source material.

this is the only i know off hand

310.7 Direct-Burial Conductors.
Conductors used for direct-burial applications shall be of a type identified for such use.
Cables rated above 2000 volts shall be shielded.
Exception No. 1: Nonshielded multiconductor cables rated 2001?2400 volts shall be permitted if the cable has an overall metallic sheath or armor.
The metallic shield, sheath, or armor shall be connected to a grounding electrode conductor, grounding busbar, or a grounding electrode.
Exception No. 2: Airfield lighting cable used in series circuits that are rated up to 5000 volts and are powered by regulators shall be permitted to be nonshielded.
FPN to Exception No. 2: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circulars (ACs) provide additional practices and methods for airport lighting.
FPN No. 1: See 300.5 for installation requirements for conductors rated 600 volts or less.
FPN No. 2: See 300.50 for installation requirements for conductors rated over 600 volts.
For the 2008 Code, the requirements for grounding the metallic shield have been clarified and more specifically stated. In addition, the revised Exception No. 1 limits the omission of shielding up to the 2.4-kV level only for direct burial conductors. In coordination with present Federal Aviation Administration provisions for airfield lighting cable, Exception No. 2 is new, permitting certain circuits up to 5 kV to be unshielded as well. See 310.7, Exception No. 2 and the associated fine print note for specific provisions and original source material.
I never realized code articles covered airfield ltg. Thanks. Also manholes w/ duct banks entering and leaving, when entering this manhole do need to lock all live crkts.?

cpal

I think the FAA has the only say. They have their own inspectors.

That language in 310 resulted from a conference call and some resarch with an FAA inspector regarding a proposal to require all cable 2000V and above to be shielded. MV is still being expanded in the NEC and 328 will seem some new language for 2014. I'm not sure regarding the language of 310.The excepotion took into consideration the fact that air fild lighting is isolated from the gen public and that it is usually fed from regulators and it is critical to the operation of the air field.

cycotcskir

I am an Inspector at an Airport and used to be in Airfield Maintenance. Most of the areas on the Airfield will be covered by FAA/AC (Advisory Circulars) I have many on my computer. Are there any specific questions that you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.