Alarm Horn in Type X Purge Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I do not understand why the openings are there. I know that when they are covered the sound is greatly attenuated. My knowledge of acoustics is lacking, but there has to be an electric signal causing something to vibrate that is inside the opening...not sure if it is an issue

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion, if any part of the device is in the classified area, then the device must be suitable for that classification. I would not accept your proposed installation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In my opinion, if any part of the device is in the classified area, then the device must be suitable for that classification. I would not accept your proposed installation.

how would you feel about it if it was a pushbutton or selector switch? there is part of the PB or SS that extends outside of the enclosure.

you are suggesting in effect that only explosion proof (or perhaps IS) devices could be installed through the wall of a purged cabinet in a CID1 area, so as a practical matter nothing can be installed through the wall of such a cabinet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
how would you feel about it if it was a pushbutton or selector switch? there is part of the PB or SS that extends outside of the enclosure.

you are suggesting in effect that only explosion proof (or perhaps IS) devices could be installed through the wall of a purged cabinet in a CID1 area, so as a practical matter nothing can be installed through the wall of such a cabinet.

That is a good point, but I see a difference. With the push button or selector switch that is extending through the panel wall. With the sounder, you have the electronic device in the classified area.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm not a big fan of Type X or Y schemes especially but, philosophically, a purged/pressurized application that forces the purging medium throughout an external device should be suitable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm not a big fan of Type X or Y schemes especially but, philosophically, a purged/pressurized application that forces the purging medium throughout an external device should be suitable.
I am just not sure that would be the case for a device like is being suggested. It appears that the back side, the side in the pressurized enclosure is epoxy sealed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am just not sure that would be the case for a device like is being suggested. It appears that the back side, the side in the pressurized enclosure is epoxy sealed.
There are definitely limits to the application. As I said, that's a "philosophical", not necessarily inherently automatic, concept.

Personally, I prefer passive (explosionproof, hermetically sealed, etc.) rather than active (purged/pressurized, gas detection) protection techniques. There is far less to go wrong even if the active systems are properly installed. I have used all of them successfully at one time or another though.

Status
Not open for further replies.